Mail and Gmail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niter, Sep 16, 2009.

1. niter macrumors 6502

I am having a serious problem with Mail. Every time I check my email, I see somewhere between 300-1000 emails being downloaded. I have NO idea where they are going. Sometimes, I can find them in trash, sometimes I cannot find them in any of the available folders.

Snow Leopard was installed from a clean install and I have not transferred my library or emails from my backup over yet. Therefore, there should be nothing ON this computer email-wise. I have checked with gmail several times and I do not archive my messages and I have nothing in any of my folders (I deleted EVERYTHING from gmail when this problem kept occurring).

What is happening!

How can I erase all these messages?

How can I stop it from happening again?

Many thanks! :confused:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

4. tarl macrumors newbie

Well, at least you're narrowing down the problem. IMAP has to be the problem.

The IMAP protocol is syncing your Mac and the mail server, just like it's supposed to. Mail is convinced that Gmail has lots of messages to sync. You say otherwise. Hmmm.

Have you tried setting up Mail in another Mac user account? Have you tried the same on another computer?

You say sometimes you find them in the trash, are the 300-1000 messages that do get created in Mail messages that you actually wrote? Or are they garbage messages?

Try creating a new dummy gmail account and sync Mail to it.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you get alot of spam. This will be downloaded straight into Gmails spam folder.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

Which is why I stopped using Mail for Gmail. I recommend setting up Gmail with Fluid instead, especially since Gmail's own UI is much nicer.