Mail and HTTPmail - can send but not receive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Narcosynthesis, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

I am a new mac user, so still getting to grips with the system and trying to get everything set up and working...

I have been trying to get the mail app working with some of my email accounts to integrate everything in one place, and (surprise surprise) have been having trouble with hotmail - I have downloaded the latest HTTPmail, and added my accounts following the various guides I found online. The problem is that I can send mail easily enough, but mail is not showina any new mail received through the hotmail accounts - I can easily send an email to my hotmail and gmail account, but only the gmail account will show a new message in mail, whereas I have to go through hotmail.com to read that I have a new message to the hotmail account.

The help I have found so far all seems to relate to being able to receive but not send mail, which is the opposite from my problem

Any ideas to set me going?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The best solution is to ditch hotmail for a free Gmail account: HTTPMail problem solved.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

My was my comment in another thread on this subject, but this thread is in the right place ;-)

"Why people bother with hotmail is beyond my grasp.

I'd highly recommend leaving your problems completely behind you by getting a free Gmail account, which offers ~8GB and supports IMAP for FREE. Why bother with hotmail. Whenever I see a hotmail address I'm afraid its spam. HTTPMail problem solved once and for all. Only email your friends to inform them of your new gmail address and leave a ton of spam behind."

4. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

I do run gmail accounts alongside the hotmail, but as I have used hotmail for many years up until lately I have a lot of existing registrations for various sites and newsletters and contact details working through hotmail that it would be a complete pain to change, so that is why I am wanting to run both...

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If I understood correctly you can receive hotmail fine in in OS X Mail, but cannot send? Unless someone else provides info to fix this issue, maybe as a workaround you could use gmail as your smtp server for hotmail in OS X Mail.

6. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

Wrong way round, I can send fine, but not receive - seemingly the opposite of the common problems

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

There's IzyMail, which I cannot endorse as never tried it but seems to be an alternative to polling hotmail directly via HTTPMail.

edit: another idea... is there a feature in hotmail which allows you to forward mail (to gmail)?

apparently some hotmail users can also use IMAP if webdav mode is available.

8. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

9. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Have you downloaded the news fix for HTTPMail?

What are your settings for outgoing?
    What are your setting for incoming?
    Did you enable IMAP?

I can't agree more with ditching hotmail. I had an msn account for well over 10 years. I had lots of forums, newsletters etc attached to it. It took a while but I have long since left it good bye. Best thing I ever did.

11. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

I have version 1.53 taken from the automagic download page, which to my knowledge is the most up to date version, unless there is a patch somewhere.

setup as per the guide that came with it from automagic.
    how do I check the IMAP setting?