Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
London
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone here can help me with a question I have about Mail.

One of the accounts I have in Mail is a .Mac account. What i would like to know is if there is any way to get Mail to store a local copy of mail on .Mac that is older than say 2 months and delete it from the .Mac server?

I'm sure i'm just being thick, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Thanks

Zaid

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Zaid said:
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone here can help me with a question I have about Mail.

One of the accounts I have in Mail is a .Mac account. What i would like to know is if there is any way to get Mail to store a local copy of mail on .Mac that is older than say 2 months and delete it from the .Mac server?

I'm sure i'm just being thick, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Thanks

Zaid
.Mac is an IMAP client connection. POP3 is the one where you download and store everything locally, and have the server wait two months before it deletes. As for IMAP, it basically syncs what is on your computer with what is on the server. I believe you can, instead of doing .Mac when making your account in mail, you can just make a POP3, using the same username and password you signed up with .Mac, and then do the delete from server after 2 months. I know I have setup IMAP to use the Alises you can creat with .Mac, but I haven't set one up to do POP3, so its just a guess that you can.

The incoming server would be mail.mac.com and outgoing would be smtp.mac.com. If my memory serves me right.

You might even be able to setup a rule, that if date is greater than 2 months, delete or move to local folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.