Mail and Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hooneyrob, Jul 26, 2012.

1. hooneyrob macrumors member

So, since upgrading to Mountain Lion my Exchange email account has stopped working in Mail. For some reason, the OS keeps overwriting the settings to a local mail server from my exchange2010.fasthosts.co.uk account. I've deleted the info in Keychain but Mail appears intent to change the settings.

Right now it's broken, any ideas?

Thinking of installing another app such as Sparrow but I cannot believe Exchange would be broken under Mountain Lion?

Rob.

2. trevorbsmith macrumors member

It's astounding, but it looks like they broke it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136482

It appears to work at least some of the time if you update your mail settings for the exchange account (see the thread above) but it gets rebroken when you close and reopen Mail.

It's not just you, so surely Apple will be buried in complaints by now and hopefully will fix it shortly.

3. hooneyrob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, keeps re-writing the settings even if I change them. Will review the support post.

4. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I'm using Exchange on my mid-2010 iMac and my 2011 MacBook Air. As a test, I upgraded the OS in the Air from Lion to Mountain Lion yesterday. I had the same issue as everyone else.... Exchange didn't connect.

After reading several threads about it, what worked for me was to go into Preferences for each of the Exchange-enabled accounts (e.g., Mail, Calendar, and Contacts). For each EXTERNAL SERVER, I added our OWA address (outlook.XXX.com), and checked the SSL checkbox (the SSL box is in the Advanced menu in Mail). I left the Internal server alone, using whatever the program set it to be. After changing the External server address, everything seems to be working OK and it appears to be sticking. I did this last night and this morning on a fresh rerestart of the Air, it appears OK.

My iMac is my master computer so I may not upgrade it to ML until I am sure this fix works.

Hope this helps folks.

5. mabovb macrumors newbie

*bump*

I'm having the same problem. Looks like we are not alone...

6. golpher45 macrumors newbie

Mailboxes and Smart Mailboxes

I upgraded to Mountain Lion and all of my mailboxes and smart mailboxes are gone. Anyone know where those may have gone? lots of information was in there.

7. hooneyrob thread starter macrumors member

Odd behaviour but when I removed the iCloud mail account, my Exchange mail appeared to work. But then stopped again when restarting.

Although there's a few threads about this, my theory is that it's not causing problems for everyone since there would be an outcry, right?

Has anyone who use Exchange and upgraded to Mountain Lion done this without the problems mentioned here?

8. rnspaight macrumors newbie

It seems to be an issue with ML Mail not using the information it gets from Exchange correctly -- it tries to use the internal server address when it should be using the external server address. You can fix it temporarily by changing the account settings, but when you restart Mail (or the system sleeps for a while), the settings will be overwritten with the info from Exchange and it will stop working.

A more permanent fix is to edit the /etc/hosts file to redirect the internal server hostname to the IP of the external server. Of course, if you take your Mac to work it will not work that way on the internal network.

My guess is that this isn't a problem for people whose Exchange setups have the same address for the internal and external servers.

There are quite a few threads on this at the Apple discussion groups. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

9. hooneyrob thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, really annoying. I'm now running Outlook!