Mail and old messages in gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by greenguy4, Dec 22, 2008.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I just set up my new macbook and I wanted Mail to import all my old messages in gmail however it is only showing new messages. How can I get it to import these messages. I have clicked sync accounts and nothing happens. It is set up as a POP account.

2. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

It has started downloading some of the old emails however it only does a couple of them at a time and then stops. It will start again some time later or if I click the get mail button repeatedly. But it will take forever this way, anyone know how to get it to continue to download the messages?

3. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

4. twilcoxen macrumors newbie

twilcoxen

Try IMAP for Gmail -> Mail goodness

I use Gmail and Mail and love it, but use IMAP instead of POP. IMAP will keep your accounts synchronized so when you read a message in Mail it will be marked as read in the Gmail browser window, and vice-versa. I also use Mail on my iPhone and that works the same way. You can switch from POP to IMAP from Gmail's settings link.

If for some reason you want or need to use POP, I'd try going to your browser view of Gmail and marking all messages as unread, though I'm not sure that would even cause them to get pushed to Mail.