Mail and printer don't work when using a VPN

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boston04and07, Mar 21, 2014.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I now have to use a VPN client in order to connect to my work email on my home computer (Cisco Any Connect). However, whenever i connect, my Gmail in my Mac Mail app stops connecting and won't download new messages. I also can't use my wifi printer when connected as well. Does anyone else use this software/have a solution for this type of problem? It's so annoying to have to log in and out every time I want to check my messages...

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When you make a VPN connection it overrides your local connection. You are essentially connected to the network at work, not your home network. Your work probably blocks gmail and local network printers are not available. You can only use USB printers.

I used to have to deal with the same issues.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on the specific VPN setup but many behave as described as above. OP would have to confirm with IT.

That osrt of thing is why I'm insisting on my company supplying a laptop when we switch to VPN.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Cisco Anyconnect has an option in its preferences:

"Allow local (LAN) access when using VPN (if configured)"​

In my case... I can print and surf locally when on my home network and connected to my corporate VPN.

/Jim

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The corporate VPN I used to use had this option disabled. It was rare that I had to print so it wasn't much of an issue.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I figured that there must be a way to disable the feature by the IT department since the preference does have the "(if configured)" disclaimer. Luckily, my IT department does not restrict this option.

/Jim