Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
How do I send email? It does not accept a password for my SMTP server but its the same as my IMAP one. I dont know what these terms really are so please dont confuse me:D I used an app I downloaded to use my AOL info from my previous Dell so could this be a problem? Also, I have mutliple folders in Mail like voicemial, saved, etc.. Also, whats the difference between outbox and sent?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The difference between outbox and sent is that messages in the outbox are in the process of being sent, but have not yet been sent. If you have a notebook, for instance, and you write an e-mail while you're on an airplane, and have no net connection, then it goes to the outbox, until you get a connection, at which time it goes to Sent. I think you can also set it up so that messages do not get sent automatically, but queue in the outbox until you trigger a send; some people like this because they have a sort of "oh, wait" buffer. :)

The IMAP server is basically the server that provides incoming mail, and the SMTP one is the one that takes your outgoing mail. If you must enter a password for your SMTP, then what you must do is, in the options for the Outgoing Mail Server, change the pull-down that says Authentication from "None" to the appropriate setting for AOL (probably "Password"). Also, if they require a secure port, change that too. When you change the authentication type, it will let you give the password. :)

Does that make sense / help? :)

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
mkrishnan said:
The difference between outbox and sent is that messages in the outbox are in the process of being sent, but have not yet been sent. If you have a notebook, for instance, and you write an e-mail while you're on an airplane, and have no net connection, then it goes to the outbox, until you get a connection, at which time it goes to Sent. I think you can also set it up so that messages do not get sent automatically, but queue in the outbox until you trigger a send; some people like this because they have a sort of "oh, wait" buffer. :)

The IMAP server is basically the server that provides incoming mail, and the SMTP one is the one that takes your outgoing mail. If you must enter a password for your SMTP, then what you must do is, in the options for the Outgoing Mail Server, change the pull-down that says Authentication from "None" to the appropriate setting for AOL (probably "Password"). Also, if they require a secure port, change that too. When you change the authentication type, it will let you give the password. :)

Does that make sense / help? :)

I did that, but it keeps rejecting my password.
:confused:

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
mkrishnan said:
Are you sure you have to authenticate for SMTP / outgoing mail? Did you try it with no authentication?

Yes, and then when I try to send it it says that the server :smtp.aol.com couldnt send using my screen name user name whihc ends with @aol.com.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
It works easier with a password authneication, the only problem with that is that it rejects my password.. the one i set it to.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
For sending mail through smtp.aol.com, make sure that Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is checked, and that it is set to use port 587.

For the user name, try leaving off the @aol.com part. If your screen name includes spaces, leave those out too.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
rye9 said:
How do I send email? It does not accept a password for my SMTP server but its the same as my IMAP one. I dont know what these terms really are so please dont confuse me:D I used an app I downloaded to use my AOL info from my previous Dell so could this be a problem? Also, I have mutliple folders in Mail like voicemial, saved, etc.. Also, whats the difference between outbox and sent?
Download and install AOL Service Assistant 1.0. When you run it, it will enter the proper settings for AOL mail. You can find it on AOL's web site.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
iMeowbot said:
For sending mail through smtp.aol.com, make sure that Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is checked, and that it is set to use port 587.

For the user name, try leaving off the @aol.com part. If your screen name includes spaces, leave those out too.

Thank you SOOOO much! I followed ur directions and now its working! Thx again!
:D :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.