Mail and TONS of SPAM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by creator2456, Apr 10, 2008.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I had no problem at all for nearly 2 years, but the last week has brought about 15 spam emails a day.

They are all along these lines:
    They are sent to ~@mac.com/~@comcast.net/~@verizon.com/~@retoner.com/etc. addresses that ARE NOT mine. They are coming from ~@yahoo.com/~@hotmail.com/~@laptose.net.

I have not changed the way that I do anything online and have not signed up for any new email anythings. The only new thing that I have done that required an email was order directly through the Discovery Store, and I am sure that has nothing to do with it.

Anything that I can do to stop this?

Just got one sent to ~@gmail.com.

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

3. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have been. A couple are still getting through though. I set a up a rule to auto delete the ~@laposte.net ones, but I can't do much with the ones from yahoo and hotmail since I receive legit emails from them.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Do you use Mail's built-in spam filtering? If you're marking those messages as spam they should start to be automatically redirected to your spam box.

5. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Get SpamArrest

Get SpamArrest.com and be done with SPAM forever.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All of 15 a day? I'll trade with you. On a good day I get about 100.

7. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

I am as said earlier, and most are being caught. A few are still making their way through.

It's not that it is a lot, it's just a lot all of a sudden and the fact that they are being sent to addresses I have nothing to do with.

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

+1 for SpamArrest.com

Been using it for a few years now, and couldn't be happier.

9. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I have all my email auto-forwarded to a Gmail account, serving as my SPAM filter, and then download from their into Mail.app. If you ISP is not adequately filtering your email, I suggest seeing if you can forward all your email to a Gmail or Yahoo! type account, to serve as a SPAM filter. Or, ditch your current email account and setup a new one with Gmail and its ilk.

The other benefit to this is that SPAM is never downloaded to begin with, unlike with traditional desktop filtering programs.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not that I'm unsympathetic, but this is common, and clearly you haven't had any of your own domains hijacked yet. Then you'd know real pain. The last time some spammer slime hijacked one of mine, I woke up to literally hundreds of bounced e-mails clogging my inbox and it went on at a rate of probably 100 an hour for a couple of days until I asked my domain host to stop referring mail not directed explicitly to one of my mailboxes. So I've had to permanently sacrifice some functionality in order to remain sane.