Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A1MB1G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2020
I just updated to Big Sur and launcehd Mail app to find that the "All Archived" and "All Trash" folders no longer exist. I have three email accounts, one is my iCloud account and the other two are Microsoft Exchange accounts. I used to be able to see a consolidated view of All Archived messages since there was a mailbox on the sidebar called "All Archived" but it's gone.

I see no way of bringing it back. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Reactions: applicious84

angusticeps

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Same here, very annoying. The funny thing is, if you right click on a message and select "Move to" or "Copy to" you'll see that "All Trash" and "All Archived" are still listed among the favorites folders.

Reactions: applicious84

A1MB1G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Same here, very annoying. The funny thing is, if you right click on a message and select "Move to" or "Copy to" you'll see that "All Trash" and "All Archived" are still listed among the favorites folders.
I figured it out. On the side bar in the mail app, click the + sign to add a new favourite. When the window pops up it shows the All Archive and All Trash items. add those as favourites and you’re all set.

sand233

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
I had the exact same issue and other than the original question, found nothing about how to fix it. Thank you A1MB1G! Seems obvious now, but you don't see the "+" until you hover over the Favorites header in the sidebar so you may not realize it's there. Nice catch.

Reactions: A1MB1G

A1MB1G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2020
I had the exact same issue and other than the original question, found nothing about how to fix it. Thank you A1MB1G! Seems obvious now, but you don't see the "+" until you hover over the Favorites header in the sidebar so you may not realize it's there. Nice catch.
It definitely wasn’t easy to catch, it took me a good 30-40 minutes to figure out something so simple. lol. Which they would have made it more obvious.

angusticeps

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Glad to know there's a solution. But in my case, the + sign next to Favorites either doesn't show up at all or, the rare occasions in which I see it, it's not clickable. It does work only for the other sections in the sidebar... it's a joke!

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
So much for Mac being intuitive. The UI folk have really strayed in the last few years. Although that might be unfair. It may be that the resources senior management puts onto UI design has dropped. I first noticed it when Jony Ive was given responsibility for the UI. It seems like Apple, since then, has been more focused on the look than the feel.

Last edited:

BartN

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Thank you very much. Took me more then twenty minutes to find finally the suggestions here. There does not seem to be any other way to get the All Archive folder back again after installing Big Sur. I have to manage 6 mail accounts. Always worked as a charm with MacOS. Now also with Big Sur.

A1MB1G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Thank you very much. Took me more then twenty minutes to find finally the suggestions here. There does not seem to be any other way to get the All Archive folder back again after installing Big Sur. I have to manage 6 mail accounts. Always worked as a charm with MacOS. Now also with Big Sur.
Glad I could help out... It was driving me insane at the time so I figured I could help some people avoid the same misery I had :) lol

masochist

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2017
Thank you for the fix! I want to point out that, at least in my case on two different Macs (2017 5k iMac and brand new M1 MacBook Air), I needed to take Mail out of full screen to see that + button. It did not appear in full screen. If anyone else is not seeing the icon, try this!

Reactions: facepalm:O

siddhc

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
I figured it out. On the side bar in the mail app, click the + sign to add a new favourite. When the window pops up it shows the All Archive and All Trash items. add those as favourites and you’re all set.
Hoof... after hunting for one week landed here, solved in two minutes. Thanks A1MB1G, your reply made me join, to begin by thanking you !! ?
mail.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.