Mail app and Address Book

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evanrousso, Dec 9, 2007.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

Let me preface this by telling you how I manage my Address Book. I do not like names to be listed like "Jones, Bob" I like it to just say "Bob Jones". So in Address Book I put "Bob Jones" into the First Name field and leave the Last Name field blank.

So everytime I launch Mail to send a few emails my Address book gets messed up. For example, if I email Bob Jones his name in my Address Book becomes "Bob Jones Jones" with the last name field now filled in.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why not simply set your Address book to display the names the way you want them (first then last) and then use the correct fields for what they are intended? I have mine set that way and it works perfectly for me: people are shown as Firstname Lastname.

3. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I have a an awful windows mobile phone that, when synced with Address Book will display all names lastname, firstname.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly why I don't sync my Sony Ericsson w600i. That and Address Book creates multiple entries for each contact (what a pain).

5. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Sorry to hijack this thread, but where can I find my contacts in my old Address Book on a backup? Where do they get stored? My hard drive crashed and lost all my contacts so I need to pull them back onto the new Hard Drive? If I pull over the whole App will that solve my problem?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

~\Library\Application Support\AddressBook\

7. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

8. gvegastiger macrumors regular

There doesn't seem to be any files in that location? I can't find anything related to Address Book in that directory? What am I missing or doing wrong?

9. chefino macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I have contact names that count just one word (name). Like Eva, John, and so on. I do not want to have the lastname for these contacts. But when I get an email from them, in mail.app their name is displayed next to their address, but it is the name THEY have used in their mailing app. So for example, if Eva (in my address book) uses the name Eva Green (in her mailing app), when I reply to her mail, mail.app automatically fills in the missing field to the address book, thus I get "Eva Green" in my address book, even if I do not want to change it.

This is a big bug, can anyone tell me how to get rid of this?

Thank you,

10. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

The easy answer is delete your one word names.

11. chefino macrumors newbie

Well, maybe easy, but not a solution really.
    Imagine you have Peter Clark in your address book, but everybody (including you) calls him Scavy. I would never find him under "Peter" nor "Clark".

Also I don't want the "smart" mail.app to rename him to "Scavy Clark".
    See what I mean?

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Nickname

In Address Book preferences you can add a nickname field. This would allow you to add the nickname to the card Mail added.

13. chefino macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, but still not a perfect solution.
    I changed those names from "Bob Clark" to only "Scavy" in the nickname field, but when I sync it to the iPhone, he doesn't display Scavy as the contacts name, instead he displays his email address, in the phone list. Confusing :-(

I believe there has to be a working solution.
    Thanx for the help so far!

14. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

As I don't have an iPhone I'll leave it here.