Mail App and GMail App - Limited vibrate and lock screen notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by rrandyy, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Question 1:

I'm using the Mail app to access my work email. Can I configure it such that no received emails cause the phone to vibrate, except for emails received from specific senders?

Question 2:

I'm using the Gmail app to access my personal email. When I receive an email, the gmail push notification displays on the lock screen. However, the notification does not expire after I have read the email using a different device (E.g., a laptop). Is there a setting (or work-around) to address this?

2. vaultwit macrumors regular

Question 1: I don't believe. You can have specific tones/vibrations for phone calls and text messages for each contact, but not email.

Question 2: Not from the lockscreen. What is displayed on the lockscreen stays in the lockscreen until you yourself dismiss it. However, badges on the app icon will go away if you check the unread mail from somewhere else. The badge (in theory) shows how many unread mail your Gmail account has at any given time.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I think you may be able to accomplish what you want for 1) by doing this. Flag the people you want to be notified of mail from with a VIP flag/tag so that they will be moved into the VIP folder in the inbox. Then on the main mail page click the edit in the upper right corner and then deselect (no check mark) everything but the VIP folder. This should them only cause the app to look for and notify you of the mail that gets put into that folder. I think this should work.

For 2) you can remove the notification banners on the lock screen for gmail if you choose not to want them to be shown or possibly change their behavior in the notifications section so they pop up and then disappear although not sure on the disappear part.

4. liteshow macrumors regular

No work around this. This same "feature" happens to any app that has notifications set to Show in Lock Screen.

5. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you--this is exactly what I was looking for. Question 1 is resolved. I added a few folks to VIP then set the vibrate/ring settings for VIPs. There was no need to deselect everything but VIP.