Mail.app and Gmail IMAP problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple Ink, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I have three gmail accounts of which at least one carries 3.5gigs of mail.

I've setup all the mail accounts on mail.app(3.2) as IMAP. The two small accounts run flawlessly but the big account has too many problems.
    For starters, it's literally always downloading mail and sometimes it just refuses to synchronize stating that I have a "server issue".

Then I came across an article in gmail help that IMAP times out with big folders.
    I didnt want to loose my mail so I archived the mail in Gmail's all mail.

My question is that if mail.app will still download/sync mail from my 'All Mail'(archived) folder or not. And if it does, how to bend it so that it doesnt.

All suggestions will be welcome because at the moment Im pulling my hair out!:confused:

2. rafaelperrone macrumors newbie

Similar problem

I have a similar problem here. Any help?

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I had the same problems, but after a few reboots, everything seems to have downloaded and it all works fine.

No idea how to prevent "All Mail" from downloading - isn't that the point of IMAP, that the server and your computer are completely syncronised?

4. Apple Ink thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The only solution I found was to download the archive to your computer. Trim the mail account (from 3.5gig to 105mb) and sync using IMAP. Or else, stick with POP and go mad manually reading and sorting mails in 2 places!

The only IMAP mail that seems to work perfectly with Mail.app is......well........Mac (now MobileMe)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

again I mention here what I heard before, mail.app is said to have problems with gmail IMAP.

6. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I never could seem to get it to work as well as I expected it to. I would suggest using Fluid to make a Gmail app and put that in your dock (http://www.fluidapp.com/) - works well for me. I like the web interface better anyways :p

7. Apple Ink thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Ya but the only reason I went with Mail.app is bcuz soon I'll be getting the iPhone and I wanted a seamless integration!
    Mail is one of the best features of iPhone and probably one of the main due to which I'm getting it!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Mail with my mac.com addresses as well as 4 Gmail addresses... all IMAP. Everything works perfectly. You might consider removing the problem account from Mail and then adding it again.