Mail.App and Gmail IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuillaumeB, Oct 28, 2007.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

OK so I'm eagerly waiting for my copy of Leopard to be shipped in few hours I was thinking to install Gmail IMAP in Mail of course

i've read problems with

- the draft feature...Basically Mail will automatically send a message to your gmail draft folder and then download it as a new message part of the conversation... so you'll end up with several unfinished copies of your sent email. From what I read it only happens when you are replying to a thread. The "Local Draft" option does not seem to be working on Mail.app but work on the iPhone.

- If you apply label in Gmail, then the email that you receive will appear both in the inbox and in the label/folder...consequently you'll end up with at least two copies of your the same email in Mail.app.

Has any of you run into one of these problem? Are there any other that I should be aware of?. I guess that for the second one, I can tell Gmail to skip the inbox and see what happen... Now I also have a .Mac account with IMAP but I was hoping to use Gmail/Mail.app + Gcal/iCal+gSync...

What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

The mail program does create many unfinished drafts of the email as i'm writing it. I didn't notice it until reading this thread. I wish there was a way I could prevent that, but it's not really a big annoyance. Those messages all pile up in the "Gmail Sent Mail" box, not in Mail.apps native sent box. So I can just delete anything I want from that Gmail box, cause all my messages, in their final sent form, are in my "sent" box.

Now, about the labels thing. Yes, all the mailboxes that I use in Mail.app show up as "Labels" on the Gmail server, but Mail.apps inbox, and Gmails inbox seem to be in sync. Everything in Mails "Sent" box shows up in "Sent Messages" under "Labels" at gmail.com, and everything that's in the inbox in mail.app shows up in the inbox on gmail.com. The "All Mail" box is not Gmails alternative to the "Inbox". The All Mail box is simply where Gmail can display all the messages from all the boxes, in one place.

edit: In fact, I just emptied my "Sent Mail" box even though there were some emails in there that weren't stored anywhere else in mail.app, because I wanted to start on a clean slate, and there was nothing in there that I really needed. From now on, i'll always be emptying that box, because everything I need is stored in the real "Sent" box.

edit 2: I just figured out that the "All Mail" box from Gmail is completely useless. You can delete anything you want from there, and it doesn't delete it from anywhere else. I stored 6 emails in a certain box that I created, and then deleted those same six messages from the "All Mail" box, and it didn't delete them from the box that I created, in mail.app or on the gmail server.

I'm now going to empty "All Mail" since it contains duplicates of over 300 messages that I have either in created boxes or in the inbox.

edit 3: Okay, now I see the problem. You do get two emails of anything that comes in, because it puts it in the inbox, and in "all mail". I'm not sure how to solve the problem. If you come up with any ideas, let me know.

edit 4: I just figured out something new. When I deleted everything from "All Mail" in mail.app, I check at gmail.com, and sure enough, all the messages in the All Mail box said "Deleted messages" next to them, showing that they were now in the Label "Deleted messages". However, when I emptied the trash in mail.app, all the emails STAYED in the "All Mail" box at gmail.com, except now, next to each message, it would show the name of the mailbox that I had put the different messages into! So now, I don't have two copies of each on my computer, and my "All Mail" box on the computer is empty, but at gmail.com, all the mail is still there in that box, for backup, in case I need to view all my emails in one blow.

Now, when I click the "All mail" box in mail.app, it says "Incoming, 298 messages", but it never brings them in! It's awesome! It doesn't download them to my computer, but they stay on the server, and mail.app recognizes that they're there, but doesn't download them, because I deleted them.

edit 5: Don't listen to anything i'm saying. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, and I just ended up deleting my account in mail.app and setting it up again because new mail wasn't coming into my inbox....

edit 6: Okay, in the end, it all works. I just have to go into the fixed Gmail boxes and clean out the mail there every week or so. Not a big deal.

3. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

LOL Edit 7.... an alien has appeared in my Gmail account and a thousand of them have arrived in Mail.app!

I wonder what happens if I delete all the rules/filters in gmail, and apply them in mail.app. OR if I have all messages skip the inbox in Gmail and be archived directly..; still waiting for Leo to be shipped

4. Diaresi macrumors regular

I found Gmail too much hassle using IMAP, delete SPAM from the SPAM folder and rather than it disappearing into oblivion it either gets moved to the Trash or ends up in All Mail depending on which folders you apply to which mailbox.

Back to POP3 for me, allows me to just simply read new mail and then delete it, leaving everything on my Gmail account :)

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Guys, if you follow the steps in this article:

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

it will help you properly configure the sent/draft/spam/trash folders. Google doesn't include this in their instructions, but once you do it things are much better. I'm loving having my GMail/Apps mail via IMAP, and it's all working perfectly.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Wish gmail had this info available. Ugh. At any rate, thanks so much for posting that link. Really really helpful.

7. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Well I follow this tutorial but things aren't perfect

Adding a new notes, synchronize with Gmail and adds a note in Gmail inbox...then Mail.app retrieves it and I end up with 3 occurences of the same notes...

I dunno their use of label is just weird and really not suitable for IMAP... i'm wondering whether I should move to .MAC IMAP...

8. kster macrumors member

sticky worthy

9. woodcreeper macrumors newbie

Mail and Gmail - Not playing "nice"

Okay, so I just got my first mac since my Apple IIgs, officially abandoning my Dell laptop that crapped out on my two days ago.

I tried to sync Gmail and Mac Mail using the IMAP service, but I have yet to get it to work. Here's the latest:

Currently I'm getting nothing, no recognition of folders/labels, no dowloading of mail (although the little spinny-thing keeps spinning next the folder named Gmail in my Mail account). Yesterday I did get it to download the folder names, and it did download some mail, including all the trash and spam and sent mail files, but not the inbox mail, nor any of the mail inside the folders (or associated with "labels" in gmail).

I've deleted the account several times from Mail, and reconnected it thinking it might get better... but it has only gotten worse.

Could it be that I've got too many other accounts being forwarded into my Gmail account? could that have something to do with it? (I have one other Gmail account, and one domain administered by Gmail, and one from my university, all being forwarded to my primary Gmail account).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Leopard if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

David

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

When I connected through IMAP it began downloading all 4000+ emails which would have taken hours if I hadn't gone into gmail and wiped the account clean. I had all the emails I wanted to keep in folders in Mail.app anyway. Before I wiped it won't delete anything as you said becaus they were in multiple places on the server. Cleaning house resolved my massive mail duplicating and deletion problem. Since then, IMAP has been working beautifully.

11. Matek macrumors 6502a

Huh, I can't get IMAP to work with Mail. I set everything according to information in google's FAQ, it synced normally, but I couldn't open any of the messages. If I open any folder and click on a message, nothing opens in the area where I should see the email and after 5 seconds or so the Mail app crashes.

12. BigTRQ macrumors regular

This is my problem exactly. The Mail.app works sometimes with Gmail, sometimes not. I don't quite know what to do. All of my settings are in accord with those posted at Google's page, and with the 5thirtyone site. I'm truly stumped why this Gmail box won't sync with my Mail.app.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Same here. I tried it and tried to adjust but there wasn't any easy way to get it to work well.