Mail.app and Gmail IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Emanuele, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Emanuele macrumors member

HI All,

I have been using Mail.app on my Macbook Pro, Macbook and iMac, to sync mail from different Gmail accounts....

Now: let's say I am working on my iMac and delete a bunch of messages, and write new ones... and my macbook pro has not been used for a few days....
    ...well, when I turn on my macbook pro and open mail.app, then all of the messages that I have been receiving and deleting....all get downloaded again and are seen as not read!

Every single time I start Mail.app I have to wait for 15 minutes for all the messages to download again .etc...

Of course, now when I go back to my iMac, all those messages show up again in the mailbox! :(

Any help with this please? I'm going insane!

Thank you,
    Emanuele

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

did you check your gmail imap settings? is it set to "immediately expunge" when you delete from your mac?

3. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

Hi!

yes, it is set to that, I have already checked. For some reason maybe it is not marking the messages as deleted, when moved to the trash?

4. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

i know that if i delete a bunch of messages at once i get the little working pinwheel by my gmail account. if i close before thats done my deletions aren't changed. are you deleting a lot of messages then closing right away?

i solved that one by always using :apple: + W instead of :apple: + Q.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Take a look in both Mail's and Gmail's preferences.

Try setting the settings to delete messages from Gmail's server after retrieval.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

7. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Similar Issue

Hello everyone, I delete most to all my messages after I read them on Mail BUT I archive my email copies in Gmail. I would like to keep it this way.

However, when I'm off checking Gmail online and I read and delete junk email... these emails are pushed and marked as new in my Mail app.

What I'm trying to achieve with Mail is to reflect everything I do on Gmail, but not the other way around. I don't want deleted emails on Mail to reflect on Gmail.

Is this possible?