Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newbie2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I recently am using the mail application and have one of my gmail accounts on it. so all my gmail messages are being sent to the mail app obviously. so today i decided to log into my actual gmail account on gmail.com. and i see lots of unread messages that i actually did read in the mail app on my MB. i was hoping that if i checked the mail on the mail app that it would show on my actual gmail account that it was read as well..or is that not how it works..
a little confused. and yes i am still a noob..

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Are you using POP or IMAP to log into your Gmail account? Try IMAP to see if it fixes the problem. I'm pretty sure that using POP doesn't touch any messages on the server, only downloads them, whereas IMAP will save any mailbox changes to the server.

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
It depends on how you set it up. If you've IMAP set up that should happen but I tried that way for a while and it's not all it's cracked up to be. If your using POP it will just download a copy of the message but not change anything on the gmail inbox at all. However you can set it to do that. I've mine set up to archive (take out of the inbox) and mark as read all messages that are downloaded. Much nicer i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.