Mail.app and Gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FrenchPB, Aug 25, 2008.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Guys,

I've never tried linking my gmail account with Mail.app. What are the benefits of doing so, and why do you use Mail.app when you could just as well go on your gmail account ?

If I link the two, should I use IMAP or POP ?

Thanks for your feedback and advices.

2. bentley macrumors 6502

Offline access to your emails is a big one for me.

Automatic retrieval via IMAP without having to check in the browser.

I use IMAP as it syncs folders.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't "link" Mail and Gmail. You enable either POP3 and/or IMAP access. On the Mail side, you setup Gmail as one of your accounts. However, Gmail doesn't care which email client you use.

Using Mail or some other email client to access your Gmail means that you don't have to use your browser. If you ever write email, then you will learn that email clients are much easier to use than webmail. Your choice of POP3 or IMAP should be based on your needs. Use POP3 if you access your messages from a single computer. Use IMAP if you access your messages from two or more different computers.

4. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

If I create folder in Mail, will that create folders in gmail also ?

Right now, all my emails are in my gmail inbox. I just used two tags and that's about it... basically, nothing is organized. I'm using a new iMac, so having access to my emails offline is not a must (it's not on the go !).

I'd like to use Mail to use spotlight, iCal and Address Book integration. I'm just scared about what it will do to my gmail account.

Questions like :
    - if I read a mail on Mail.app, will it mark it as read on gmail as well ?
    - if I create a folder or a rule (lile all the emails coming from @xyz.com go to that folder), will that be taken into account on gmail ?
    - I need access to my email from any computer in the world, meaning I need to keep a copy of all my emails on gmail... is that worth mentioning when choosing between POP and IMAP

Thanks all, I'm a newbie with all of that :)

5. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

About the first one no.
    Second one:don't know
    Third one:It doesn't matter.A copy of your mails will exist on gmail.com even if you delete them from mail.app. To delete mails in gmail you have to go to the site and delete them!

I use POP as well and it works fine!:)