Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
Setting up a new Mac Mini running Sonoma.

Went through the setup process to connect my gmail account but I'm not seeing any mail appear. On my phone I can see some security messages from Google regarding the new machine accessing my account but they aren't appearing on the new machine itself. There are other (deliberately) unread messages waiting for download.

Any clues as to what might be going on?

Cyby-CyberDog

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
You have to confirm the login using the prompt on one of your other devices using Google services!

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
Hmm.

I didn't get a prompt on any other device just the security alerts. I've checked the activity page and clicked the "Yes it was me" button but still nothing.

Behind the various app windows, System Settings has a dialog displayed "Unable to verify account name or password" I can't dismiss the dialog nor quit System Settings even using the quit option on the dock bar.

In fact System Settings won't shut down and prevents me from restarting I had to go to Activity Monitor and shut it down.

Last edited:

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
Something must have got in an eternal loop or similar. I deleted the Google account in Mail and recreated it and everything now works.

Reactions: eldho
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.