Mail App and Help with Setup

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carisnator, Jan 25, 2008.

1. carisnator macrumors newbie

hey guys,

Finally got around to asking, i have the mail app installed on my ipod touch and wanted to link it with my hotmail account, i have tried izymail however as a lot of you probably know it is for a limited time only. can anyone offer advice as to how i can go about having my hotmail in the mail app permenantly for free.

Thanks in advance

Jake

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

right after a little googling I found the server details for incoming and outgoing sooo here we go.....

go to mail
    click other

enter your name as you would like it to appear, then your hotmail address and a description of the mail account, I dunno call it Hotmail account or something.

in the incoming mail server host name is pop3hot.com and then user and pass is your hotmail login

outgoing mail server host name is mx01.hotmail.com, not sure if login is required for this one but try without at first.

I have not been able to try this out as theres no free wifi in work

3. carisnator thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for your help, however sadly it says when i attempt to save the account it says that there is an error with the incoming server?

Thanks again

Jake

4. sashag macrumors newbie

when i tried to install the hotmail account on my itouch, using the POP menu. and all of the info provided by andybno1 (thank you), it said, it could not connect with SSL.
    It asked if I wanted to try to connect without SSL, do i need to click yes to get it to work, i dont want to loose the security? Thanks.
    PS I got the same messege when I used the IMAP menu.

5. carisnator thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, yeh i hit yes when i had it working last time under izymail and that got it to work however i dont really want to pay for izymail

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't think you can access Hotmail with POP or IMAP directly.

7. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

As far as I'm aware Microsoft charges you some $$ to allow you to access hotmail accounts like you want, either you subscribe to their service or access it online through the website.
    ________
    Suzuki Burgman

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Gmail works great for me on the Mail app. I highly recommend it.