Mail.app and Hotmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kurrosh, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kurrosh macrumors member

Hey,

I am currenly using a Macbook with OS X 10.5.4, and Mail.app is version 3.4.

I have been browsing the web, and forums for a while, and can't find a guide, or anything that works ... Can anyone please help? I want to be able to use Mail.app to recieve/send e-mails from my hotmail account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kurrosh

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

There was a plugin httpmail but until it hasn't been updated and doesn't work with your setup. The best thing to do in the meantime is to forward your hotmail email to another provider, this can be done through hotmail settings. That way you can still receive it and if you set up a gmail account specifically for that hotmail account you could add a "reply to" and it wouldn't come from your hotmail account but it would allow people to reply back to it.

3. Kurrosh thread starter macrumors member

Ok.

I won't bother, too much hassle, I would rather just change my e-mail to my .mac e-mail completely.

Ty for the help though =]

=Kurrosh

4. plina macrumors newbie

Hotmail problem

This might seem a dumb questionb but I have to ask it. I'm planning to get a Mac and i would like to know why apple products cannot access Hotmail?
    My main account is hotmail and to change to a new e mail account will cost me a lot of grief.
    can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem with apple not being able to access hotmail?

5. plina macrumors newbie

Hotmail problem

:confused:This might seem a dumb question but I have to ask it. I'm planning to get a Mac and I would like to know why Apple products cannot access Hotmail?
    My main account is Hotmail and to change to a new e mail account will cost me a lot of grief. I have had this account for over 10 years.
    can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem with apple not being able to access hotmail? And how can this be fixed without having to go through Gmail to access my hotmail account? :confused:

6. Kurrosh thread starter macrumors member

Mac's can access Hotmail, just not from the Mail.which apple users are likely to use.

It doesn't work, because Mail doesn't have the support required for Mail to see, view, check and send from Hotmail accounts.

A third party software fixed this, but is apparently long outdated.

You can, of course, still go to www.hotmail.com and work your account from there, but it is just nicer to be able to use Mail instead.

7. plina macrumors newbie

Hotmail Problem

Thanks at least I could access hotmail, I thought that you couldn't access hotmail at all.
    Hopefully someone will come out with a program to correct the mail. problem, too many people use hotmail to be having these type of problems.

8. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Actually it isn't that Mail doesn't work with Hotmail, it is that Hotmail doesn't work with Mail. A few years ago they took away the POP ability, that is what the above outdated plugin fixed. I sent more than my fair share of emails asking for them to allow this feature again but no luck, give it a try though, the more people email them the better.