mail.app and IMAP - Problems - Need help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRabbit, Sep 12, 2007.

1. iRabbit macrumors 6502

(I posted this in the wrong forum before... moderators feel free to delete that one, or merge it here -- sorry!)

I'm working on getting IMAP going on my mac pro and on my iPhone... Its really giving me a headache after too many hours of trying different things.

I can receive mail fine but I cannot send mail. I keep getting "connection failed" type messages. I'm using port 587 (its how the server is set up), and authentication (password). No SSL. I'm sure everything is entered right. I got it to work lickety split with outlook express but I just can't seem to get it to work in mail.app -- either on the iPhone or Mac pro.

I've tried deleting the account and setting them up again. I've tried deleting the outgoing server in server list (on mac pro). I've tried with SSL and without (just to be sure). HELP! LOL

Ideas? I need a true mac genius...

(and yes, i know about using my isp's outgoing server on my home pc, or at&t's on the iphone, but i have my own server and domain and really would like to sent from my own mail server)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some ISPs will not allow you to send from anything but their own SMTP. Using their SMTP doesn't affect your email at all and it still appears in the recipient's inbox as an email from your address. Have you tried using your ISP's SMTP settings?

3. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but I've had problems with delays using my providers SMTP outgoing server.

AND, that doesn't at all explain why I can't get it to work on my iPhone over EDGE or any wireless connection (when I'm not connected to MY provider). Plus, setting it up quickly in outlook express, I got it to work in about 20 seconds. I'm using port 587, which my ISP does allow.

Please... anyone... I'm on the phone with Apple tech support and they are not proving helpful AT ALL. Someone has to have had this issue and knows the solution... maybe... please :)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It doesn't???

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, okay, umm... I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength. :eek:

Have you tried port 25? Using the SMTP settings of your ISP should work while connected to your home network.

6. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to use my providers outgoing mail servers for reasons already stated.

And, as already stated, it's NOT my provider blocking anything, otherwise I wouldn't be able to send from Outlook Express, which I can do just fine, connected to the same network.

Since my original post I've tried 3 different macs and it doesn't work on any of them. I've tried Outlook Express on 2 different PCs and that does work. I also tried Thunderbird on THIS Mac and it works.

Anyone have ideas or run into this problem trying to get Mail and a mail.mydomain.com:587 IMAP Account to work?

7. abelarts macrumors newbie

Outgoing doesn't work on Mail of Iphone either

I'm having the same problem. It sucks. I can get mail but not send on both Iphone and Mail. I only switched to IMAP because I got an IPhone.

My ISP hasnt given me any solutions yet. I'll let you know if they do.

8. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me know if you find a solution... I've been around and around on this debugging in a million different ways and couldn't find one. I had no choice but to end up using my providers outgoing mail server, which sucks.