mail.app and multiple users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrdctaylor, Oct 28, 2009.

1. mrdctaylor macrumors member

mrdctaylor

My parents just bought a Mac and I'm going to be getting them set up on it. And I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I don't want to make separate user accounts because I don't want to make it difficult for them to see the same files/music/photos. However, I'd like for the mail.app to switch between users. So far, I really haven't found any suitable way of doing this.

Obviously, I can set it up where both email accounts show up, but I'm afraid this will cause confusion as they might accidentally send mail from the wrong account or read each others' email.

I want them to be able to use the mail.app because of its simple integration with iPhoto for emailing photos. Obviously you don't get this with a web-based mail solution like gmail or with something like Thunderbird.

Any ideas? I've seen an applescript solution which doesn't work with Snow Leopard, and I've seen a $20 utility called rooswitch, but then they would have to open something to switch profiles before the went into mail. I'd love to just be able to give them each a mail icon and call it done, but I don't see how that is easily doable.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd create new accounts anyway and just move your music/film/photo libraries either outside of your home folder or into ~/Public.