Mail.app and proxies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by donbenjy, Oct 17, 2008.

1. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Hey, I've searched around, but there never seemed to be an answer to my problem...

Mail.app is refusing to connect to GMail's IMAP server when I'm inside my uni's network. Everything else works fine (Safari, Software Update, and 3rd party apps) after I setup the proxy info in System Preferences, but Mail doesn't seem to cooperate. I have put the proxy details into the SOCKs pane, but that didn't help. I'm wondering if it's a port thing?

Weirdly, if I turn of the SOCKs proxy, my uni email (which is also setup using IMAP in Mail) works fine, but when I turn it on, then it doesn't work. The uni email goes to a fixed ip address btw.

(also, when I'm not inside the proxy, I can't send emails from my uni address. There doesn't appear to be an smtp server available, as in the setup guide, it says to input my ISPs smtp server, which doesn't work, presumably because I don't actually have an email address through them. I know that there are public smtp servers, but are these ok to use, as I don't want people being able to read my emails!)

Hopefully someone can help!

Cheers
    Ben

2. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

3. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

really? I just tried it and it didn't work...I didn't play too much though! Do you use mail? Because I couldn't see any references to it working with Authoxy.

Thanks

4. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

authoxy basically funnels all of the macs native internet activity through whatever port you enter. that would include mail, itunes store, and safari.

one thing that the directions doesnt say is that you have to adjust the proxy settings of the network you are using. if you are using the wireless airport you have to set that up but if you are using ethernet then you have to adjust that instead, or both.

what i am using the program for is a little different then what you are describing so im not 100% sure if it will work. but its worth a try :)