Mail app, Auto capitalization "i" to I

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by al82, Dec 5, 2008.

1. al82 macrumors regular

Hi everyone

Just a quick question, is there a way i can get the mail app to auto correct i to I in a sentence?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Mail does not currently offer any auto-correction. I find it much easier to simply learn to type correctly, that way when you have to switch to a program that doesn't auto-correct, you don't run into problems.

jW

3. zachary.confino macrumors newbie

Answer!

Go to 'system preferences', 'language and text', then subheading 'text'. Click the plus button at the bottom then 'i' 'I' and make sure that the box is checked.

Now open Mail. Make a new message and put any text in it. Now click on 'Edit' at the top of the screen and go down to 'substitutions', then 'Show Substitutions'. When the Substitutions box comes up, check the box marked 'Text Replacement'. Then this will include your 'i' to 'I'. If you want mail to check your grammar also, go to edit, spelling and grammar, show spelling and grammar...

Then when the box comes up check 'Check Grammar'

Hope this helps!

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeesh. Or you can just hold shift :p

5. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

Probably doesn't know how to type, a hunt'n'peck typist.

http://www.mackiev.com/support_mavis.html here is a program to help with typing.

I am of the same opinion, learn to type first :) , if it still bothers you, build a app for it. :rolleyes:

6. iToNe24 macrumors regular

old thread but thank you for this ... veru helpful information!

7. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Is this just for Snow Leopard? I'm sure it does it automatically in Lion does it not?

8. iToNe24 macrumors regular

i am running lion 10.7.2 and it DID NOT change my i to I automatically. Now it does after the change above.