Mail app - automatically move new Junk mail to Trash?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by troop231, Nov 20, 2015.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

I'm trying to figure out how to automatically move mail that comes into the Junk folder to the Trash folder.

I've tried both of the settings below (screenshots) and neither work; meaning the Junk mail still comes to the Junk folder and I have to delete the message once to get it into the Trash, then again to delete it from the Trash folder.

I'm essentially trying to save a step and want it to go into the Trash folder automatically as it arrives.

FWIW, I'm using Gmail.

Could anyone help? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KALLT macrumors 601

This should work, I can't explain why it doesn't. You've used the Advanced button under Mail settings > Junk Mail, correct?

Does Gmail allow you to set up filters on the web client? Maybe you should configure it there.

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Doing it like this is probably the best way anyway. Filters in Mail only work when it is actually running. If you check your emails frequently on your phone too then you will not benefit as much from filters, if they work at all.

5. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm reporting back, it seems to work per the article, but I had to change one option to make it work the way I wanted in my original thread post. Screenshot of Gmail filter:

[​IMG]