Mail App autostarts on boot virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thedv8, May 7, 2011.

1. thedv8 macrumors newbie

Recently my imac running OS X 10.6.7 has been taking forever to log in. When login is almost complete Mail app automatically starts. It is NOT listed under login items and if I look under options in the dock "Open at Login" option is NOT checked.

It appears as though it's trying to send out an email, but I don't have an email account setup, so it prompts me to setup an account. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I thought it might be one of the login items, there only 3 login items 1) iTunesHelper 2) An external drive mounting 3)iAntiVirus (which has been on the computer for a while with no problems).

I'm not sure how to even go about figuring out what is causing mail to load, and how to stop it. Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

if it's trying to send an e-mail, then there should be something in the outbox.

There has never been a virus for OSx. Every time there is unexplained behavior, everyone seems to think it is a new OSx virus.

If anything I'd suspect iAntivirus as the culprit. I'd try taking it out of the login items folder first.

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Navigate to ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Outbox.mbox.

What is inside Outbox.mbox?

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you don't have an email account set up in Mail, it will always prompt you to create one. Just because it's prompting you to create an account doesn't mean it's attempting to send an email.

You do not have a virus. What are your login items? Perhaps one of those is causing Mail to launch for some reason.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't recommend using this app. They make bogus claims about malware to promote their product. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install: