Mail app "background activity"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by davefranklin, Sep 24, 2014.

1. davefranklin macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get as much battery life out of my iPhone 5 as possible and whenever I check the battery usage, it always shows the Mail app as drawing around 15% battery usage from "background activity". The thing is, I don't use the mail app, I use Mailbox. I've tried turning everything off in the Mail app settings. No notifications, no push. No fetching.

And yet, whenever I check: 15% background activity.

WHAT IS IT DOING! I guess that's my main question here :)

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't think that represents what the app is doing and using right then and there, just what it was responsible for as far as battery usage in the last day or week. So if at one point you set up an account or changed something or went into Mail and it needed to update itself or something like that and used some battery, then that number will be present there showing that it used that battery (at some point basically).

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

that, the usage are averages over either the last 24hrs (or whatever duration since last off the charger) & over the last 1, 2, 7 etc days overall (again an average)

also dont just turn off mail settings, delete all accounts completely especially exchange accounts were were known to have update loop bugs multiple times

4. davefranklin thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh that makes sense, thanks guys. I'll try deleting the accounts.