Mail app badge notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saandeep, Jun 26, 2011.

1. saandeep macrumors newbie

I have gmail account setup in the Mail app using Exchange server. I'm getting new mails pushed to the device, but I can only hear a sound when a new mail comes.. and a red number on the app indicating the number of unread emails.. But, I am not getting badge notifications, as we get for a SMS.. Is this how it is supposed to be? I tried looking into the settings -> Mail, contacts, calendar.. But I could not find a way to get badge notifications work for this Mail app to be notified each time I get a new mail. I'm not interested in Boxcar or other apps and forwarding my emails to them. Just want to know if Mail app has push notifications (with badges)? or am I missing something.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

BTW, I'm using iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.3

2. shandyman Suspended

the little red number is a badge notification.

i'm assuming you mean the preview notification where it shows you a preview of the message?

3. saandeep thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes. You are correct.. I mean the blue rectangular popup that shows the preview of the message with two options 'Close' and 'View'..

4. blesio macrumors regular

I don't think that 4.3.3 has that option for any email account. There is only an email sound alert, you're supposed to check the emails tapping the email icon :( but that's gonna change when ios 5 arrives so sit tight and wait a while :)

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

iOS 4 doesn't preview incoming emails.

Sound + vibrate + badge is as good as it gets.

iOS 5 adds email previews to the notification system :)

6. shandyman Suspended

email does not have this on 4.3, but 5.0 which comes out in the fall has it under the new notification system

7. saandeep thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok.. Thanks.. :) One more month ;)

8. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

More like 3, sorry :(

It's Lion that comes in July. iOS is rumored to be released in September, if not later

9. shandyman Suspended

it's just over 2 months as a minimum...