Mail.app Caches attachments again!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biggy52, Feb 27, 2010.

1. biggy52 macrumors regular

Hello.

I have a problem with Mail.app.

I configured my Gmail using IMAP on mail.app. And i downloaded ALL my mails and attachments, meaning it cached all attachments and emails. It used up 4 GB of my data. I am on a capped bandwidth of 5 GB per month. I thought everything was perfect and suddenly last week....I checked my cap again, and i used 3 gb in 2 days. I checked and it was mail.app downloading my mails again and caching attachments all over again.

Why is this happening, i am scared to use mail.app again, because u never know when it will start caching all my attachments again and i will use up my 4gb in 2 days.

Please help me if anyone understands my problem and has a solution to it.

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

3. biggy52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for an answer.

But that is exactly how my settings are, that is the weird part, i downloaded everything on my mac for offline viewing, it work for a week, and for some reason after a week, it tried doing it again. and i didnt mess with the settings or anything in that time.

So im still stuck at WHY it happened

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah, I see you didn't quite realize what I meant... the setting on the screenshot I attached called "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing" should be changed from the default of "All messages and their attachments" to something else more bandwidth-cap friendly.

5. biggy52 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...I understand ....

But again, i want all mails and attachments to be available for offline viewing.

I mean i am ready to use all my bandwidth once to cache and download everything. And i expect mail.app to only download mail and attachments of new mails.

And not re cache my old mails which i had already downloaded.

Am i making sense?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, you are making sense. I'm not sure why Mail is behaving the way it is, though... it shouldn't cache attachments a second time, unless they've changed.

7. biggy52 thread starter macrumors regular

What is even weird is that, i came to a conclusion that probably my Mail folder or the cache where my mails and attachments are cached is corrupted.

So i restored it from my time machine, back to the time when i know it had completely all the caching. It still didnt work, it just decided to download again.

Weird!