Mail app - Can it actually delete my mail?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by happle, Sep 26, 2012.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

i just set my mail up in the mail app and went through and deleted tons of old mail. but i just went to the actual mail website and it did not actually delete any of my mail. is there a way to set it up so that i can delete the mail straight from the app?

2. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Mail.app does have settings that can help you delete mail that you've read from your remote mail server.

In Mail.app you can hit 'command' + 'comma' together "⌘," and this will bring up the Preferences. Then select the upper icon 'Accounts' from the Preferences pop-up, then select 'Advanced' (having chosen which account you're working on, if you have several). In the Advanced settings you can select various options such as checking 'remove copy from server' - after a certain time delay - one Month or One Day, or you can bonk the 'Remove Now' button which clears the server of read-mail more or less immediately!
    Save your changes on exit, and it'll do the clearing automatically!
    (In the past I have occasionally had to enter the webmail interface of some budget e-mail point of presence servers to clear them out manually, but that was years ago under OS X 10.2)

Getting back to iMacs, now that quite a few Ivy Bridge WinPC all-in-one's are hitting the market it would be great to see an Apple Ivy Bridge rollout in the 21.5" and 27" medium power desktops. Mail.app would then likely perform reasonably snappier.

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i figured out it was because hotmail doesnt support IMAP and all my other emails do. ill be switching my main email to icloud and use the hotmail one for junk.

also im running a i7 macbook pro as well as an i7 hackintosh that i just built. both are pretty beastly.