Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
So, woke up this morning, reading my emails like normal and I can't delete a read email, in fact I can't delete ANY of the emails I read. They just keep popping back up at the top of the list when I hit delete. Thought it was my computer so shutdown, restarted and no joy......
Maybe the most interesting aspect is this is happening on my other mac AND on my iphone. NOTHING can be deleted!!!!!

HELP?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sounds like an Apple backend problem, if everything was fine last night and you haven't changed anything. When I got to my MBP, it was showing 12 unread which I knew wasn't the case. I couldn't find any unread on the Mac and did a reboot and it went away. My phone and iPads were fine.

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
What is your ISP? This morning I am having the same issue, except mine is on my desktop windows pc and my iphone... won't delete messages. I am using Cox.

Reactions: Martyimac

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Had a similar issue few weeks ago. It was definitely something IMAP-related. I have my main ISP's email configured as POP, while Googz comes in as IMAP. Absolutely could not delete messages in the IMAP account; they just popped right back in as new mail. Meanwhile, the POP accounts continued to work normally. I deleted and recreated the IMAP account for gMail, and haven't noticed the issue since.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
What is your ISP? This morning I am having the same issue, except mine is on my desktop windows pc and my iphone... won't delete messages. I am using Cox.
Turns out, after almost an hour with "tech support" that Cox did have "server issues". But they did get it fixed, finally. The giveaway was that their online webmail portal was just as messed up and that clued them in as to it being their problem.
What a hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.