Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VikR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I receive emails from a friend that come in looking like this:

Donna <username@domainname.com>​

I recently found out the correct spelling of her name is Dawna. I want to correct the Mail.app database so that when emails come in from her, they will look like this:

Dawna <username@domainname.com>​

She is not in my address book, so there's nothing in my address book to change in order to accomplish this.

What is the correct way to accomplish this in Mail.app?

Thanks in advance to all for any info.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
In Mail, go to Window -> Previous Recipients. You can add her to the Address Book and change it from there, or I think just edit it in that window.

jW

RSaunders

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
In Mail, go to Window -> Previous Recipients. You can add her to the Address Book and change it from there, or I think just edit it in that window.

jW
This does not always work.

I have a persistently wrong email name, and clicking on "Remove from Previous Recipients List" or doing the above to delete the bad entry DOES NOT fix the problem. Even making a Contact entry for the right name doesn't fix all the occurrences. Any other suggestions??

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
This does not always work.

I have a persistently wrong email name, and clicking on "Remove from Previous Recipients List" or doing the above to delete the bad entry DOES NOT fix the problem. Even making a Contact entry for the right name doesn't fix all the occurrences. Any other suggestions??

Check that you don't have duplicate entries in the Contacts application with the same email address but different first name listed.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I seem to have ended up duplicate names for my email address. I am unable to delete one of them which shows up in all my emails. How do I delete a name?

With the message selected, go to View menu then View -> Message -> All Headers.

Now when you look at the message, what to you see on the line towards the top that starts with "To: "

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
What I see on the line that starts with "To) is the name I want to delete. It is the unwanted duplicate.

I think that gets generated by the senders mail client. Can anyone confirm this?

Possibly the duplicate is in senders address book or previous recipients.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I think that gets generated by the senders mail client. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, the "friendly" part of an email address is generated by the sender's email configuration. The part between the angle brackets (<>) is recognized by the email servers as the actual email address. The friendly name (outside the <>) can be anything the sender wants to put there.

Reactions: bernuli

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Somehow, the unwanted name got removed. I really don't know how or why. Though I feel relieved, it gives me a funny feeling as to 'What's going on?'

The problem was that the sender had your address wrong in their contacts database or address book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.