Mail App... confused

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DeafRaiders, Aug 21, 2013.

1. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

I dislike Mac Mail app!

Its too confusing I cna handle it on iDevices but just not! the iMac mail app!
    I have lost some emails I use IMAP method for Gmail and Blueyonder(Virgin Media UK). I deleted mail i have read or don't read i move them to trash and then empty the trash can but they are always left on the server. I when move a email to keep mail it moves it back to where it was and if i click delete it deletes if from all mail items when it really should be in the keep folder!

I am mostly common with Outlook and Thunderbird would it be much easier to go back to these applications or is the better one out there?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. There is no reason for you to delete Mail. Mail is the most intuitive and easiest to use email client that I have ever used. If it is too confusing or too hard for you, then just don't use it. That is allowed.

The reason that you cannot delete Mail using your attempted technique is that you are not Mail's owner. The owner is the System. Regular users and administrators don't have sufficient privileges to delete System applications.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

He's talking about his messages in mail, not the application.

The reason that things are left on the server is because he is using iMap and has it configured incorrectly. While mail in itself is easy to use, it can be a bit confusing sometimes with the setup of various accounts.

As to answer his question, I don't know, most people either just use Mail or Outlook. Personally I hate outlook, but everyone's needs are different.

4. DeafRaiders thread starter macrumors regular

He's right. Might give thunderbird a try see if that helps me. I doubt when the new OS X it might be different?

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Even Google puts out what I consider erroneous advice for setting up Mac Mail.

The OP probably just needs to map his Inbox, Sent Items, and Trash to the corresponding Gmail folders.

6. 835153 Guest

Had a guy at work with the same problem. Apparently when Virgin swapped to Microsoft or google mail (cant remember which way they went) they seem to have created a hidden mailbox of already deleted stuff. Which if you delete from Mail.app reappears moments later because they still reside on the server and get pushed back to mail.app.

You need to go into your webmail in your browser and find a hidden mailbox, possibly inside 'deleted' mailbox and get rid of it there.

Thats about all I know.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I don't know if you're still under the three month period for free calls to Apple phone support (or have Applecare), but for stuff like this Apple Tech Support will walk you through any set-up problems you might have.