Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
Running the Public Beta (that's all I have access to).

I am unable to sync my Exchange account with Mail.app without it crashing. I've tried all of the steps to remove all preferences and existing mail cache/stores, repaired the disc, repaired permissions, but all to no avail.

Essentially, I will add my Exchange account (a hosted Exchange 2010), which will begin to download all of the many folders and emails (it's about a 10gb mailbox, so quite large). It goes for about a minute or so before the app just shuts down. I've tested whether clicking on an email (to view it) will affect this but it crashes regardless of any interaction from launching of the app.

I've submitted this via the Feedback App multiple times now but since the Beta hasn't been updated, I don't know if this will be fixed.

The short version of the crash log is basically saying:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'MFSQLiteException', reason: 'checking for existence of object'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
(I can post more if anyone wants, but figured this is the most relevant part)

Anyone else having this issue? Haven't found anything online from anyone else, so I'm not sure if this is just me (and a problem with my hosted Exchange account, which works fine in Outlook 2011, FWIW).

Last edited:

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I can only say my Exchange hosted account (Sherweb) works fine with OS X Mail in the public beta - in fact its behaving a little bit better than in Outlook 2011.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
I can only say my Exchange hosted account (Sherweb) works fine with OS X Mail in the public beta - in fact its behaving a little bit better than in Outlook 2011.

well that's even more perplexing then because mine is through Sherweb as well!!!

:mad:

scottweidig

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Goes boom...

I have the exact same issue. Corporate exchange and Beta 5 mail app crashes with the same error report you are having. Beta 1-2 were fine. This issue started with Beta 3 and has continued. I have also tried the cache deletes etc with no success.

Interestingly, iOS 8 B5 works just fine with my corporate exchange server...

tethead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
I have the exact same issue. Corporate exchange and Beta 5 mail app crashes with the same error report you are having. Beta 1-2 were fine. This issue started with Beta 3 and has continued. I have also tried the cache deletes etc with no success.

Interestingly, iOS 8 B5 works just fine with my corporate exchange server...

I don't have access to iOS 8 but I've never had issued with any of my iOS devices and Exchange. And I haven't really used Mail.app for it in a long time, basically since Outlook for Mac came out, so not sure if this is a new issue or one that has been a problem for a while perhaps... Maybe need to see if I can load it on my wife's machine which is still on Mavericks.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
Think I figured it out...

Crashes without fail when syncing anything in my Exchange account where the folder has an apostrophe in it! Here is one of the messages in Console, for example:
8/13/14 1:14:27.487 PM Mail[12079]: 0x7fb0a01192f0 got exception Error preparing statement for query SELECT messages.ROWID, messages.message_id, messages.remote_id, messages.date_received, messages.date_sent, messages.flags, messages.size, messages.color, messages.date_last_viewed, messages.subject_prefix, subjects.subject, sender.comment, sender.address, NULL, messages.mailbox, messages.original_mailbox, recp.comment, recp.address, messages.type, messages.document_id, sender, recp.ROWID, messages.conversation_id, messages.conversation_position, NULL FROM messages LEFT OUTER JOIN subjects ON messages.subject = subjects.ROWID LEFT OUTER JOIN addresses AS sender ON messages.sender = sender.ROWID LEFT OUTER JOIN recipients AS to_recipients ON messages.ROWID = to_recipients.message_id AND to_recipients.position = 0 LEFT OUTER JOIN addresses AS recp ON to_recipients.address_id = recp.ROWID WHERE remote_mailbox = (SELECT ROWID FROM mailboxes WHERE url = 'ews://XXXX@XXXXXX.XXX/2014-09/XXXXX%20x4%20OCT%20'14%20SA%20JANET%20SA') AND messages.remote_id IN () (error 1: near "14": syntax error), current retries 0
(i've put in XXXs to anonymize my data)
___

So, if I go into my webmail (or via Outlook 2011) and rename that particular folder to not have an apostrophe in it, then it is fine! Pretty odd but so far it is allowing me to sync without any failures as I go through and remove each apostrophe.

This appears to be a bug in Mail.app for Yosemite as these email folders have no problems loading in Outlook 2011 or any version of iOS, and previous versions of Mail.app for OS X as well.

I submitted this as a reproducible bug via the Feedback Assistant so hopefully this is something that can be corrected before launch...

kaduce

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Think I figured it out...

Crashes without fail when syncing anything in my Exchange account where the folder has an apostrophe in it! Here is one of the messages in Console, for example:

(i've put in XXXs to anonymize my data)
___

So, if I go into my webmail (or via Outlook 2011) and rename that particular folder to not have an apostrophe in it, then it is fine! Pretty odd but so far it is allowing me to sync without any failures as I go through and remove each apostrophe.

This appears to be a bug in Mail.app for Yosemite as these email folders have no problems loading in Outlook 2011 or any version of iOS, and previous versions of Mail.app for OS X as well.

I submitted this as a reproducible bug via the Feedback Assistant so hopefully this is something that can be corrected before launch...

YOU ARE THE BEST! I haven't been able to use Mail in weeks, this fixed the problem. I just took out the 's in my folder names and boom, no more crashing.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
YOU ARE THE BEST! I haven't been able to use Mail in weeks, this fixed the problem. I just took out the 's in my folder names and boom, no more crashing.

I'm just glad I figured it out! Hoping :apple: can fix this before release as I don't think we're the only ones with an issue...

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Glad you figured it out ;)

Now call me old skool if you wish (for I am), but I would never name files, folders or similar with spaces, apostrophes, commas, single/double quotes, colons, etc.

Having spent years working with products that use databases in particular, I can just about stretch to dashes and underscores as separators. Not trying to be a smarty pants, just saying.

Have a look at this if you will :D LINK

tethead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
Glad you figured it out ;)

Now call me old skool if you wish (for I am), but I would never name files, folders or similar with spaces, apostrophes, commas, single/double quotes, colons, etc.

Having spent years working with products that use databases in particular, I can just about stretch to dashes and underscores as separators. Not trying to be a smarty pants, just saying.

Have a look at this if you will :D LINK

funny...

I grew up in the DOS era so yes I probably should know better, but others in my office are used to "human language naming" and have no concept of how computers actually work. FWIW, any standard character works just fine in all other apps that connect to Exchange (Outlook, EWS, and iOS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.