Mail App does not sound notify me when new mail has arrived

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Jul 29, 2008.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey there,

Mail does not notify me by giving me the "Ping" sound when new mail has arrived. I actually usually know new emails have arrived by my iPhone making the "Ping" Sound.

Right now I am in Safari, but mail is running in the dock (I clicked the red X button). - - Just for reference of how I am using Mail usually.

Any thoughts or help?

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

First, check the obvious things: volume and preferences. Also, make sure you have the latest updates. Are you reading the email on the iPhone before Mail downloads it?

Attached Files:

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, there is a problem with 10.5 and the event manager or something. It requires a restart and it will work again until it stops working again.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Haha yeah.... I have checked this so many times thinking its obviously just a user error. No I am not reading the emails on my iPhone. I am just randomly hearing my iPhone ding or ping and I am like oh a new email so I check my computer, there it is and has been for the last 15 minutes.

Wow. Did not know this. Thank you!

Damn, that sucks. Well sadly restart has never solved this solution. I actually had forgotten what the sound of my Mail app made until about a week ago when I had all my programs pushed off the screen using Expose. Then randomly I heard my email and I was like, that was loud as hell. My iPhone is never that loud... weird. Then I realized it was my computer.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

6. JavierP macrumors regular

I have the new mail sound disabled in Mail and Growl Mail installed and configured to play a sound/show a notification when a new mail arrives. Works fine for me, give it a try

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Since Leopard Mail does what it wants sound wise. Mine randomly dings when nothing has arrived sometimes. Other times it doesnt ding when mail does arrive. The newest thing it does is ding when I select Mail in the dock. :confused:

Today its having a good day as it seems to be dinging when mail arrives even though my iPhone beats it to it everytime. :D

8. designedbyapple macrumors newbie

designedbyapple

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I made an Applescript that tells me when I have new mail.

Code:
    say "new mail"
    Just save an Applescript with this text in it. You can put whatever you want inside the quotes. Then make a rule in Mail to run this script whenever you get a new mail message. Works perfectly until Apple fixes this bug.

You can also make an Applescript to play a sound file using the same method.