mail.app: don't want all accounts to be checked at startup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fedjagr, Jan 27, 2008.

1. fedjagr macrumors newbie

hi, I am running several accounts in mail.app, but only want to check some of them once a week or so. Is there a way around the checkup of every account when I startup mail.app? It takes ages, and I end up with all these unread messages in my inbox that I am not interested in.

2. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Yep

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Advanced, second checkbox from the top. This will prevent auto-check. Those accounts will be included when you click the Get Mail button.

3. fedjagr thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks, but it will still check at startup. So I have to wait for all mail to be downloaded from the server, and then go over all new messages (which I would like to do only once a week, instead of every morning).

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I had this strange problem. I unticked the startup box (as mentioned above) but it didn't do anything.
    I then changed General -> Check for mail to 'manually'

I think this did the trick...

5. fedjagr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm thanks, but I DO want some accounts to be checked...
    I guess I want it all... ;-)

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's not automated... but couldn't you go to Mail> Preferences > Accounts tab> highlight the account you want to manage> Advanced tab> tick the "Enable this account" box?

You can enable or disable accounts as you please. But your settings should remain saved and the mailboxes, too.

Don't beat me if I'm wrong. :D :eek:

7. fedjagr thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't beat you, 'cause you're right! This is what I currently do. So it is possible, but as I am lazy and expecting the ideal mail-client, I hoped there was an option (or whatever) where the acount would be enabled, but would only check for mail if I clicked on it...

Thanks all for your input!

8. DaanZijlstra macrumors newbie

I currently have three accounts in Mail.app

Two of those are for the same hotmail account I am using. I use the httpmail plugin and the MacFreePops service.

Now I want one the httpmail one of those two accounts disabled, as it keeps getting the same messages.

I disabled this account, saved settings, unticked all boxes, etc. But when I restart mail.app, it automatically enables the account!

I have to go into settings to disable it manually. Any hints on why it does this and how to prevent the account from doing so?