Mail.app downloading all IMAP messages again

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uplusd, Apr 23, 2010.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Hello,

My mail.app is setup using IMAP with my Gmail account. I've noticed that Mail.app randomly decides to download all the IMAP messages all over again at random intervals (could be a few days, could be a few weeks). I've noticed this behavior on both of my computers, additionally I know other people with this same issue. Does anyone here have this issue as well? If so, what is the problem?

Thanks!

2. lie2me macrumors member

Check your incoming mail port and rule settings

The IMAP account tries to match what is stored on the server periodically synching up with it. If you are actually checking your mail at a pop server instead (e.g., wrong port setting), all the mail may come back. Check your server settings to be sure you have the IMAP port set properly.

When I switched from POP mail to an IMAP account, I had a strange rule setting that was copying mail from the POP account into the IMAP account. I don't remember how I set this up but I was concerned about the switch over to IMAP and wanted to be sure I was getting all the mail messages. After deleting the rule, I think it remedied the situation of inadvertent email recovery. Be sure to check all of the Macs your are using because it may take only one rule with one of the mail clients on the multiple computers you are using to goof things up.

Sorry I don't remember exactly what I did wrong (right to fix it) as it has been about a year now.
    Good luck.