Mail App For Mac, Need Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rodster, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rodster macrumors 68040

One of the most disappointing aspects to OS X is the Mail App. Yeah they added a few more Mail clients but it's absolutely atrocious and clunky and neutered when compared to the Mail App for iOS 7.

The iOS 7 Mail App is so good that I ditched Windows 8 because that had a great mail client as well but iOS 7 is just so much better. The Yahoo Mail App for iOS 7 is fantastic as well.

Are you guys using any decent Mail Apps that can handle Hotmail/Outlook/Yahoo?

2. mpantone, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

I have been using the Apple Mail app successfully since around 2002 with a variety of POP3 and IMAP services, primarily Yahoo and AOL in the past few years.

I have also been using the iOS Mail app successfully with the same services since 2008.

I do not see any specific issue using these mail clients with the aforementioned services; Yahoo Mail (IMAP) has been my primary e-mail service for several years now.

I have also used these clients to a lesser extent with Hotmail and Gmail with secondary accounts. I do not note any egregious problems, perhaps because I only use those services rather sparingly for junk accounts (signing up for contests, newsletters, etc.) and log in infrequently.

Anyhow, good luck.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let us clarify terms. Mail is an email client. Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, Rocketmail, etc. are email accounts. What you call clients are really just setup wizards. They are completely and totally unnecessary. However, they are convenient for users who subscribe to one of the more popular email providers. However, most people who established accounts before these wizards were developed entered our setting manually--and we liked it!

On the iPhone, a large percentage of users used iTunes to setup their phones. Their Mac Mail accounts were setup on their iPhones by iTunes during the activation process. It is true that some accounts work better on iOS than on the Mac. The most notable of these are Exchange accounts. However, Exchange is a proprietary Microsoft protocol. Apparently, Microsoft's license restrictions for iOS are more lenient than for OS X.

You are appear like iOS Mail but you do not like OS X Mail. Is ease of setup your only issue? If not, then what are your other issues with OS X Mail.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I like using Thunderbird... not sure why it doesn't get mentioned for good os x mail apps.

5. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Huh? The mail app for iOS has a tiny fraction of the features that the mail app for OS X has. I don't understand how you can say that the OS X app is neutered. What features in iOS are missing from OS X app? The OS X app can handle all the types of email you mentioned.
    You mention Hotmail, Outlook and Yahoo. The first and last are email accounts. Outlook is an email client (like Mail.app or Thunderbird) that will support your email accounts.
    What exactly are you wanting to do?

Attached Files:

• iOS.PNG
      iOS.PNG
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
    • OS X.png
      OS X.png
      File size:
      122.1 KB
      Views:
  6. cityhopper, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

cityhopper macrumors newbie

cityhopper

Robust Mail Client for OS

Similar to the OP. I'm looking for a replacement for the preloaded "Mail" application. I find Mail to be too simplistic and designed to cater to teenagers or retirees. As a long-time PC user, Outlook has been preferred mail application but I've also had to work with Lotus (junk) for my work.

How does Outlook 2011 for Mac compare to the Windows version? Are there any other applications that are worthy for purchasing?

Note - I apparently found my own solution through the other trending thread. Trying Mail Pilot during the beta preview stage.

7. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm quite happy with Postbox, but also like Thunderbird and Airmail.