Mail app for Outlook.com

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by li0163, Aug 6, 2012.

1. li0163 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I was a Hotmail user and has recently switched to the new "Outlook.com". I was using MBox Mail for my Mail App and everything was perfect. I could see all the folders I had on Hotmail.

Now after switching to Outlook.com, I can't get the Mail App and MBox Mail working. I cannot see the folders anymore. I cannot even send email! It keeps prompting me for password for the smtp server. I noticed its user name does not have "outlook.com" at the end so I added it, but that does not solve the problem.

My Mac is using Mountain Lion. It automatically chooses POP3 for me, without giving me a chance to switch to IMAP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Outlook.com mail does not support desktop e-mail clients.

3. klmaj macrumors member

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Users are reporting otherwise.

5. calb macrumors 6502

From the Gizmodo live Q&A session earlier (emphasis mine):

TeamOutlook @aviavy 53 seconds ago
    Here’s our thinking on IMAP: IMAP is an old protocol that supports only mail syncing (not calendar and people). Nowadays, EAS is simply a better protocol. It’s fast, battery-efficient, and syncs mail, calendar, people and tasks. All modern phones support EAS, including iPhone, Android, Windows Phone. So, EAS is our long-term bet, and we just prioritized getting it out there before "going backwards" and working on IMAP. Nonetheless, we recognize that IMAP is widely implemented in clients, and that there are people that expect it in a mail service. We think IMAP is good for two things: (1) supporting legacy phones and clients that don’t have EAS support, (2) supporting developers who want an API to access email. We think both those things are important, and so I expect we’ll support IMAP for Outlook sometime down the line (I can’t comment on release dates, blah, blah, blah). Building software means making tradeoffs, and we prioritized other things over IMAP. We’ll get there. If IMAP is really, really important to you, you should wait to upgrade. Also, a special note for Mac users: We know our client support on the Mac isn’t great and we’re working on it.
    ...oh, and we do support POP3 today.

6. garbeth macrumors regular