mail.app freezes when add attachment

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by catachip, Jun 18, 2007.

1. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I am having a bizarre problem that just started happening today. If I open mail, start a new message and go to add and attachment (either by dragging it into the window or through the attachment button) the program beachballs for about 2-3 minutes, then finally adds the attachment.

The weird thing is, after that, you can compose messages and add attachments all you want and they add at normal speed. If you close mail.app and reopen it, then you have to wait 2-3 min again for your first added attachment. It occurs if you have windows friendly checked or not.

I have trashed preferences with no effect. Any other options or solutions possible? This is frustrating.

Thanks!

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

repair permission? clear system cache? repair disk?

3. catachip thread starter macrumors regular

catachip

I have tried repairing permissions, and of course restarting the machine. I am not sure how to clear system cache though.

Also, it occurs if I create a new OS X account and use mail.app from there.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

clear system cache using an freeware called OnyX, check macupdate.com for it.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No guarantees that this will help your particular issue, but this post's trick (well, the whole thread talks about it) helps keep mail.app running spiffy.

It's also helpful to not keep a ton of mail in your inboxes. That tends to slow things down, too.