Mail.app Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RHatton, Mar 31, 2009.

1. RHatton macrumors regular

I've been using Mail.app for quite a while now. I have two email accounts linked up to it, one being a gmail and the other my school email. The Gmail account is a POP server and everything works great. I can send/receive all my emails and its fine. My school email is an IMAP account and while I can receive emails I cannot send emails through the IMAP server unless I am at school. Is this an issue with my incoming and outgoing mail servers? I am assuming this is the problem but honestly I am not sure. I also have noticed Gmails new IMAP capability. Would this possibly benefit me? Could I forward my IMAP account to Gmail and then use Gmails server to send emails through my school account. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

I would use gmail imap anyway as it is much better than pop.

Gmail allows you to send emails using it but it the name of another address. So you could send emails in the name of your school address from gmail. But the sent emails would not get saved / sent through your school email account. (like imap would) To receive any emails to you school account in gmail you would have to set up forwarding from your school account to gmail. The only downside to doing this is that people that receive emails sent this way will see that they have been sent via google. This isn't a problem if you are happy with that. Wouldn't be a problem for me.

3. isaki87 macrumors regular

Im not a fan of starting many threads, and I saw a this thread for the mail.app, and I have a separate issue from the OP. The issue is related to my gmail imap service, I have my gmail account imap'd to my iPhone, thunderbird(just to isolate the issue to mail.app), entourage, and outlook on my PC side and and my Mail app will not allow me to delete any messages from my gmail inbox. My school IMAP and mobileme are flawless on the iPhone platform and on my MBP, and work perfectly irrespective of the application.

Attached is a screenshot of what it says when I attempt to delete mail from my gmail inbox using Apple's mail.app...

Attached Files: