mail.app + IMAP + gmail= problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Oct 29, 2007.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I started using IMAP and gmail with mail.app, but things are a little messed up. For starters, when I start to compose a message in mail it will do this autosaving thing that shows up in gmail as me having sent the message like 10 times to the person I'm composing the message to. It does the same when I save something as a draft, which makes it impossible to tell if I actually sent a letter or not. The other annoying thing is that none of the sent mail that I have at gmail shows up in my outbox, except for stuff composed in mail.app. The to do functionality is kind of messed up too... Anyway, has anyone else experienced this?

2. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

just tested my Tiger mail.app+gmail and it works fine

3. kster macrumors member

4. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Well, he said "To do functionality is messed up" which means he's in Leopard. I'm in Leopard too, sporting the same problems. It's actually a feature, that it automatically saves the draft at different points. I just go in and delete them all afterwards. Not a big deal for now.

And yes, mail from the gmail.com sent box doesn't download into the Sent box in mail.app. You can access that mail in the "Sent Mail" box under the Gmail account sub-box in mail.app. If you send all your mail from mail.app, then after a little while it shouldn't be a problem, because all your sent mail will be sent from there anyway.

5. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Sorry for not listing my version, but yes I am in leopard. Thank you very much for your help! ...but how can I figure out if this one message I sent through mail actually was sent or not? It is kind of an important email, but I'd prefer not to send it again since it was delivering bad news...

6. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

If it's not in your Sent box in mail, then it'll be in the "Sent Mail" box on the gmail server, or in the "Sent Mail" box in mail.app under "Gmail account" in the sidebar. If it's in none of those places, it wasn't sent.

7. nworbmit macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem - but am using Tiger.

I'm having the same problem - but am using Tiger.
    Also the multiple variations of the message are
    transmitted to the Sent folder on the Gmail
    webmail access site. Only the last and completed message actually gets sent
    but it is very inconvenient as I end up with up to 13,14,15 versions of the email in various stages of completion - clogging up my Sent box.
    Can any one guess if this is a Mac problem, a gmail problem or maybe I've finally gone nuts.

Thanks
    Tim

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm having all sorts of issues with Mail 3.0 and Gmail IMAP. I'm guessing this will be addressed in 10.5.1.

I think it has something to do with Gmail rolling out IMAP right as Leopard began to ship... too late for devs to test and work out the kinks.

9. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i just noticed this happening today-not sure why but I guess it may be the way that the autosave works its just that it happens in the background and for whatever reason that can't happen in mail for now-obviously this could and likely will with a 10.5.1 release like pdpfilms said

10. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Can someone explain to me in simple terms (I'm not very smart) was the different between IMAP and POP3 and which one is better to use?

11. err404 macrumors 68020

I had considered the release time of Leopard and Gmail's IMAP as a reason for the problems, but I cant give that much credibility. IMAP is an establish standard and should not require any special coordination between Apple and Google to make this work. The issue is with one or the other not properly supporting the IMAP protocol or volume.
    If it is Google's problem (as i suspect it is, since my iPhone is a bit flaky with them too), they get a bit of a pass in my book to take some time and get this corrected. I don't pay for Gmail and consider anything beyond web access a perk.
    However it it is Apple's problem, I expect this to be corrected right away. I did pay for Leopard and consider proper support for IMAP to be basic functionality in a robust mail client.
    Has anybody been able to test Leopards IMAP with providers other then Google? Also what about Gmail's IMAP with other applications/OS's?

In any case, I hope it is straightened out soon.

12. err404 macrumors 68020

@iMacBook
    POP3 - downloads mail to your inbox. Very basic functionality.
    IMAP - synchronizes mail between locations. for example, if I read or delete a message from my PC, it's also marked as read or deleted on my iPhone or web interface. Additionally subfolders in your mailbox exist at all of your locations automatically. You get the same view of your mailbox no matter where you are.

IMAP is superior in just about every way, but POP3 is more widely supported.

13. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Huh, so far I've had zero problems w/ Gmail's IMAP & mail.app in Leopard...

14. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

^ This with the exception of the Spam folder being sync'd too. :(

15. gunpowda macrumors member

Hi,

I experienced exactly the same situation. 20 or so e-mails showed up in my gmail inbox, and I wanted to make sure that they hadn't been sent.

I've done some testing, and I can confirm that although the draft messages show up in gmail in their various versions as you're composing them, they're not actually sent.

I think I'm going to turn off the draft-saving to gmail in mail.app to avoid any future problems and false alarms.

16. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

There is another thread in the forums about Gmail and Mail.app, someone there sugested taking a look to this link:

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

There are few extra steps to properly setup Gmail IMAP and Mail.app. I was having the same probles you describe here but after following the steps in this tutorial all is working ok for me.

BTW, google has posted now 2 sets of instruction for setting up IMAP one for 10.4.X and other one specific to Leopard...

Hope this helps

Cheers :apple:

17. borisj macrumors newbie

Gmail folder in Mail doesn't sync read messages

HI,
    I just installed Leopard and was quite happy with the way Mail handled Gmail Imap with Tiger. Things are a bit different with Leopard, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to resolve my annoying problem.

I check my personal mail from work on gmail.com and when I get home my Mail inbox reflects my Gmail.com inbox, which is fine. However there are messages in the All Mail folder of my Gmail folder in Mail that are still marked as unread, even though they are marked as read in Gmail.com and read in my Mail inbox. Mail doesn't seem to sync very well, which is annoying as the main benefit of imap is that you don't have to go through your emails and mark them as read, etc...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Boris

18. murex macrumors newbie

Check this for start
    If you want to delete a message from the All Mail folder in gmail (from mail.app), don't hit delete key, just drag it to Trash folder of Gmail.

If you want to make folders like view in your google account make labels in this format [Gmail]/work or [Gmail]/whatever. You' ll find in mail.app a folder with that name under your gmail account.