Mail.app IMAP Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lexus, Aug 21, 2010.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I just converted one of my mail accounts to Mail.app and the account wont stop spinning and it keeps refreshing my inbox.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Thanks

2. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

It is still doing it. It just keeps spinning...

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Mail is an email client. You don't convert mail accounts to Mail, you set them up in Mail. However, you cannot just use IMAP because you want to; the mail account has to be an IMAP account.

Two questions:
    • What is your mail provider?
    • Have you enabled IMAP access to your account?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. seleneS macrumors member

I have multiple IMAP accounts for my Mail and one of the account keeps spinning. The spinning one is a gmail account and I set it to be:

Incoming mail server: mail.google.com
    Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com:***

I know that the correct form of Incoming mail server should be imap.gmail.com but I don't want to receive emails from this account, just want to send. Does anyone know other ways that meet my need (sending but not receiving) and work smoothly without the spinning?

Thank you

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! Just WOW! It is worse than I thought. You do not have valid settings for the spinning Gmail account. Accounts are identified by the incoming (POP or IMAP) mail server, not the outgoing mail server. The plain letter of your settings indicate that you are trying to setup an account for your google.com email address — selenas@google.com, for example. You may use any SMTP server that works with the domain that you are connected to. Your SMTP server says nothing about which email account you are using.

If you want to use Mail to access this account, then you must set it up properly in Mail. If you don't want to download your messages, then you may exclude this account when Mail automatically checks for new mail. You may be required to check each of your other accounts manually for new mail if you want to avoid messages from the Gmail account.

7. seleneS macrumors member

Ahhh, I just go and set it correct then. Thank you for your response.