Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I think the mail app is the most disappointing feature of any OSX I've ever used. It's just been a dumpster fire. Leaves messages in inbox when I deleted them on my iPhone, takes five minutes to quit sometimes, stops receiving mail for no reason even though it says all accounts are online, etc etc etc. I'm only using a standard Gmail. Should be easy enough, right?

Has anyone been working with the 10.11 mail app? Is it any better, worse, still in development, what's the scoop?

Asendra

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
I think the mail app is the most disappointing feature of any OSX I've ever used. It's just been a dumpster fire. Leaves messages in inbox when I deleted them on my iPhone, takes five minutes to quit sometimes, stops receiving mail for no reason even though it says all accounts are online, etc etc etc. I'm only using a standard Gmail. Should be easy enough, right?

Has anyone been working with the 10.11 mail app? Is it any better, worse, still in development, what's the scoop?

Actually, there's nothing standard about gmail.

Reactions: MikhailT and KALLT

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Mail works pretty well for me with my gmail address although I have read a lot of stuff online about gmail and the OS X Mail app not working too well together.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I have a substandard experience with iCloud as well. It's nothing like using Exchange with Outlook at work. So there's something meh about the Mail app and IMAP; it's not just Gmail, and Gmail is definitely not "standard."

Maybe it is IMAP?

Asendra

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
Well, there's a totally new IMAP engine, so bugs are to be expected in the first beta.
I have a substandard experience with iCloud as well. It's nothing like using Exchange with Outlook at work. So there's something meh about the Mail app and IMAP; it's not just Gmail, and Gmail is definitely not "standard."

Maybe it is IMAP?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Actually, there's nothing standard about gmail.

Maybe it is IMAP?

Well, there's a totally new IMAP engine, so bugs are to be expected in the first beta.

Workflow.

1. Get asked question
2. Default to Google bashing as per Macrumors culture
3. Get contradicted
4. Provide response I should have provided in the first place.

Asendra

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
Workflow.

1. Get asked question
2. Default to Google bashing as per Macrumors culture
3. Get contradicted
4. Provide response I should have provided in the first place.

Contradicted?

Is Gmail an standard IMAP implementation?
Didn't "coockies!" agreed with me that there wasn't anything standard about gmail?

I didn't answer the question the op had simply because I don't have installed 10.11 in any of my machines, plus I don't use Mail.app, just the Gmail web client (lol) So I just clarified that Gmail is not standard, as op seemed to think.

So, way to miss the mark, buddy.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Contradicted?

Didn't "cockies!" agreed with me that there wasn't anything standard about gmail?

I didn't answer the question the op had simply because I don't have installed 10.11 in any of my machines, plus I don't use Mail.app, just the Gmail web client (lol) So I just clarified that Gmail is not standard, as op seemed to think.

So, way to miss the mark, buddy.

You apparently knew Apple reimplemented IMAP in 10.11 and yet this wasn't your immediate response? How strange!

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

They certainly claim to be, so if you can demonstrate how they are not, file a bug:

For non-Gmail clients, Gmail supports the standard IMAP and SMTP protocols
https://developers.google.com/gmail/oauth_overview

Gmail supports standard IMAP and Gmail clients, with Gmail clients having a superset of IMAP features. When you add a Google account in OS X, is Apple implementing this as a Gmail client, or as standard IMAP?

Either way, you're wrong - if there is an IMAP problem its either a client-side or server-side bug, not an actual standards/protocol problem.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Unfortunately Mail.app handles Outlook's IMAP incorrectly as well as you get duplicates of every sent item in your sent folder. Really annoying, reported a long time ago and both Apple / Microsoft can't be bothered agreeing on how to approach it. I kind of hope it gets fixed in later versions of El Capitan.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I for one thing have not experienced any of those problems in Mail for a long time. I have had two Exchange accounts, a Yahoo account, an Outlook account, an iCloud account and now an IMAP account. Everything is working fine for me. I never had a Gmail account though. If Apple's default configuration has problems, why not try adding an account yourself with your provider's recommended configuration?

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I for one thing have not experienced any of those problems in Mail for a long time. I have had two Exchange accounts, a Yahoo account, an Outlook account, an iCloud account and now an IMAP account. Everything is working fine for me. I never had a Gmail account though. If Apple's default configuration has problems, why not try adding an account yourself with your provider's recommended configuration?

KALLT, could you please elaborate on the Outlook account part? Are you using standard normal IMAP/MAPI settings as Microsoft recommends and you don't have any Sent duplicates? Because I was searching for a workaround for a long time and really cannot find one. Thanks a lot!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Am not on 10.11, equally on 10.10.3 I have no issue with "Mail" with multiple accounts including "Exchange" my only observation is for one account it does take a long time to sync. Admittedly It did take some work to set up in the advanced setting, however when seeing up a new rMB I had to do nothing as OS X/Mail picked up all settings from my MBP Retina`s seamlessly.

Across all my working Mac`s Mail works without issue be it Exchange, SMTP or IMAP

Q-6

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
They certainly claim to be, so if you can demonstrate how they are not, file a bug:

https://developers.google.com/gmail/oauth_overview

Gmail supports standard IMAP and Gmail clients, with Gmail clients having a superset of IMAP features. When you add a Google account in OS X, is Apple implementing this as a Gmail client, or as standard IMAP?

Either way, you're wrong - if there is an IMAP problem its either a client-side or server-side bug, not an actual standards/protocol problem.

It is well known that Gmail uses complex setups to work around non-existent IMAP features like tags/labels and "All Mails" duplicating every emails in other folders (which doesn't exist on Gmail, they are virtual views based on the labels). None of these features are standard IMAP features, so no, not all features on Gmail is IMAP-compliant.

Gmail is using IMAP protocol to sync your data but you're not going to get the standard IMAP experience like every other IMAP service like Fastmail and so on. In fact, go to your link again and look at their IMAP extensions page and they'll tell you what they had to add to their IMAP servers to make it work: https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap_extensions

Google is doing its best to work around the decade-old IMAP standard but every workarounds they add, adds to problems that other email clients will make worse.

That's why Google is working on the Gmail API instead, this will provide a much better experience than the IMAP. Apple is not likely to adopt Gmail API but other email clients should if they want to.

Fastmail is working on the next generation email standard to try to replace IMAP, called JMAP: http://jmap.io/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.