Mail.app: INFURIATING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mavis, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Ok guys,

I'm about ready to throw this computer out the ******* window.

Does anyone know how I can prevent Mail.app from creating that damn "Apple Mail To Do" folder? I have tried editing plists, I've tried changing the Compose settings to store To Do's only locally, I've created IMAP accounts specifically to store To Do's in, and NOTHING WORKS. Mail.app CONTINUES to creat that damn folder, almost EVERY TIME I open the app. I wouldn't actually mind, except that the GENIUSES at Apple in their infinite wisdom didn't make the iPhone's mail app hide that folder like the Leopard app does. And since it's named "Apple Mail To Do" it always appears at the top of the damn folder list. IT'S HIGHLY FRAKING ANNOYING.

I'm sorry to go off like this, but I'm about ready to SCREAM. Tonight is the last ******* straw. I've wasted HOURS trying to prevent that DAMN folder from being created, not to mention the time I've wasted CMD+Q'ing Mail.app, firing up Thunderbird to delete the Apple Mail To Do folders in all of my accounts (I hate Thunderbird, and installed it SOLELY for this purpose) and then opening Mail.app back up, crossing my fingers as I refreshed the mail app on my iPhone, and CURSING VIOLENTLY when that ****ing folder reappears. AGAIN.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Jonathan_W macrumors member

You could try this hint to see if it works for you.

Alternatively, if you use Things, you'll have to delete the To Do items in iCal if you want the pesky folder to disappear. After doing that, tell Things not to sync your To Do items with iCal since iCal syncs them with Mail (I don't like anything being duplicated on the same Mac :p). After doing this, delete the folder in Google Mail on your web browser and it should never appear again. I haven't had the folder appear again ever since :p

If you use Things and like syncing with iCal, I suggest you try the first link :)

Edit: My apologies, you've done exactly what the hint describes. I guess Things and not syncing to iCal or to wait for Apple to fix the annoying problem are the only things you can do :(

3. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I've never had any luck with Mail. So I use Thunderbird. If you hate Mail that much maybe it's time to look into other options.

That said, I know people who swear by Mail too.

4. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Oh. Nevermind my last post then, LOL

5. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Right. ;)

Thanks for the replies, you guys. I've actually found a passable workaround though. I went in to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail (IIRC) and simply deleted the folder name for ToDoList syncing. Rather than delete the entire string, I just left the value blank (for each mail account) ... I also went into Mail.app and removed the ToDo.bundle from the Plugins directory. Then I opened Thunderbird and deleted the folders. Finally I opened Mail.app and deleted the folders Thunderbird had created (Sent, I think - why can't TBird let me CHOOSE the folder I want to use for sent mail, like Mail.app allows?) ... After several CMD+Q's and even a reboot, Mail.app still isn't creating the folder.

I'm THRILLED to not see that damn "Apple Mail To Do" any more when I use my iPhone. But I'm seriously annoyed that disabling that "feature" (that Apple STILL hasn't enabled on the iPhone!) took so damn long and involved so much 'hacking.' Am I the only one who finds it kind of ridiculous?

6. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Wow, the To Do folder caused you that much grief? I never even notice it anymore.

7. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yup, can't frakin' stand it. First of all, it serves no purpose (can't sync To Do's with the iPhone - thanks for nothing, Apple!), it is created in EVERY account despite implicitly specifying otherwise in mail settings, it can't be seen in Mail.app (and therefore can't be deleted), CAN be seen in the the iPhone's mail app (pure genius there), but can't be deleted there (again, thanks for nothing, Apple!), and since the name starts with an "A" it appears at the top of the iPhone's IMAP folders list (and can't be moved) ...

Annoying? Highly. ;)