Mail app is deleting all my mails from MobileMe.

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by 66217, Sep 18, 2008.

1. 66217 Guest

All my mails that arrive to my MobileMe inbox, and are downloaded to my Mac, get deleted from the server.

First I thought it was a problem with my Mail app settings, but I don't see any option that could affect this.

Any ideas why this is happening? Do I have to change something at MobileMe?

Thanks.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

You have Mail set to download mail from the server set in your account settings. It should be set to leave mail on the server or something to that affect.

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

Problem is there isn't any option to change this setting on Mail.app, and it seems to be the same in Mobile Me.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

MobileMe is an IMAP Server so not sure how this could happen. I think the other POST may have been talking about a POP Server. Did you define MobileMe as an IMAP Server everywhere? Not really sure you could do it any other way.

Definition of IMAP is your MAIL stays on the Server until you delete them no matter how many clients actually download them.

5. 66217 thread starter Guest

Yep, it is IMAP everywhere.

I talked with an Apple guy at the online chat, and he told me that the cause was that when I read the mails at Mail.app, I moved them to a mailbox At My Mac. And that instead, I should copy them.

I don't think this is true. Because I make the same with my GMail account with IMAP and this doesn't happens.

Do you know if what he said is true?

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Well, if he is correct in that you MOVED the files from a Server Folder to a Client Folder then they would no longer be on the Server. This would be true on any IMAP Server. If you did do the COPY then you would have duplicate emails so I would not do that.

Do you have RULES setup in MAIL.APP which says to move the mail when it arrives at the mail.app? If so, then this could be the problem.

Make sure that you create folders on the Server if you want to orginize your email. I would not MOVE the mail to a LOCAL Folder unless it was old mail and you were simply Archiving it and you don't have space on the Server to hold it. Also, I would only use COPY if you were doing it for the purpose of "backup" (to protect against losing your email - I would normally do this anoher way - like having the mail forwarded to a backup account).