Mail App isn't Automatically Notifying Me

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dan50, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Dan50 macrumors regular

Other people's phones I always hear ding vibrating sound but for mine, it only vibrates, makes ding sound when I manually open the app itself. Where do I go in order to fix that issue so I will able to hear it automatically? I have gmail

2. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Depends if you're using the 'Mail' app or the 'Gmail' app?

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Notification needs to be configured, as well as the mail settings for the app.

4. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using mail app can somebody help me step by step instruction I should do?

----------

How?

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Mail app settings: Settings, scroll down to your mail app near the bottom (3rd party)
    iPhone mail app: Settings, "Mail, Contacts, Calendar",

Notifications: Settings, notifications. find your app there an configure the notifications.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

If you're using the iOS standard mail app, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts and Calendars - Fetch New Data - turn "Push" on, go to GMail IMAP account, set to Fetch, then at the very bottom set the interval. More frequent fetches mean slightly less battery life.

7. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

Mines set as manually but I don't see option to alert me instantly whenever I receive it.

8. dotme macrumors 6502a

Using the built in mail app, it's not possible to receive "instant" notification on a standard GMail account any more because Google no longer offers ActiveSync on those accounts. It's IMAP, which is a pull protocol, not a push protocol.

Set to Fetch, and on the previous screen scroll to the bottom and set your interval. Your phone will check mail in the background based on the interval you specify, and if you have new messages, it will alert you.

9. akadmon macrumors 68020

I have the Gmail up installed. It notifies me of a new email instantly, and since I never made any changes to the settings, I guess this is the default behavior. As for battery usage - the app is reportedly using ~1%. Bottom line: I use the Gmail app for notifications and Apple Mail for everything else.