Mail.app issue w/narrow margins? Hard to explain...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Veritas&Equitas, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Ok, I have a question. It seems that when I'm composing a message in Mail.app, it's being written as though I'm in Word or any other document composer, where the text simply goes to the next line. However, after getting responses from many of the emails that I send out, I realize that it seems the margins are quite narrow, and my writing only seems to be about 1/2 of the normal width when writing something. This is a major problem for long web links, which become broken b/c Mail.app seems to force the link to a new line, effectively breaking the web link.

For instance, a normal message would look like this:

Hi Bill,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But when I get responses, I wrote

Hi Bill,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I thought it could be an issue with how the responder's email formats a reply, but that doesn't seem to be it. Keep in mind, if I use a link like

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=148966&WT.mc_n=67&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=PRICEGRABBER&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=67

It gets broken up in Mail.app like this

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?
    oid=148966&WT.mc_n=67&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=PRICEGRABBER&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=67

which obviously breaks the link. Can anyone offer any insight how I fix this? Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty sure it is related to MIME standards and what app the receiver is using. In the meantime, it might be easier to select a word, hold CONTROL and click on the word, select Edit Link and then past the URL there instead. It looks neater too. :)