Mail app issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Jul 31, 2008.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

HI all,
    i use the mail app in OS X to get my gmail and comcast accounts. Starting last night, the mail app started to ask me for my comcast account password. and sometimes when i type it in, it doesnt think its right and sometimes it works. is this something up with comcast, mail, or keychain?
    thanks
    brent

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Problem with comcast probably (it is comcastic, after all). Have you tried restarting mail?

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, it started last night and then shut down and has done it some today after restarting

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'd suggest contacting comcast due to this but you'll probably waste 30 minutes on hold then waste 30 minutes talking to some temp college student who will tell you to do some random stuff and then end with telling you that it is your fault and you are beyond help. At which point you'll waste a weeks worth of time until comcast gets to fixing it on their end.

5. dadoc04 macrumors member

i had the same problem earlier today. I deleted the account, im going to re-add it tomorrow.

6. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So do you think its a Comcast issue? I have deleted the account, though i added it back right away...still had the issue and also went into Keychain access and deleted all the comcast entries and added them back too....same thing still keeps happening....im beginning to think its comcast...though i havent had a chance to call (or do i think they would know about it)

brent

7. dadoc04 macrumors member

I think it is a comcast issue. Now that I have added back it began doing the same crap again.

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

What happens if you cancel the password prompt and then check the mail?

9. supergrandma macrumors member

I'm on Comcast and am having the same problem.

10. Mattisong macrumors newbie

ConCrapstick

I have the same problem with Comcast as well. About once every other month or at least quarterly I have to delete my 4 accounts in Mail and recreate them. This makes the problem go away for another month or 3. I can say rentering the password when prompted doesn't solve the issue, the Mail "Mailbox/Rebuild" does nothing, nor does repairing drive permissions. I was hoping perhaps a keychain issue had come up. I am currently running 10.4.11 and was hoping this might go away with Leopard, but I just saw someone running 10.5 saying they had the same issue.

To further the mystery I did have a gmail account loose it's Mail password for no reason 2x as well, however in this case re-entering the password when prompted seems to have fixed the problem for the time being.

Any insight to if this is a Mail issue would be most appreciated.:confused: