Mail.app, Mailboxes and IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samwise, Jul 6, 2012.

1. samwise macrumors regular

I've just rebuilt my machine after making both SuperDuper and Time Machine backups of my data only to realize after restoring Lion that the emails didn't back up :(

Luckily, I had a lot of older emails on my Mac Mini, so copied them across.

My problem now is that I've set up my iCloud and GMail accounts up in Mail.app and downloaded the available emails. I've got multiple mailboxes within 'On My Mac' and I have rules set up to move emails as they arrive to specific mailboxes.

For some reason, they don't appear to be working, but when I move the emails manually, they re-appear in the Inbox.

It's getting frustrating, especially as my Gmail inbox through the browser appears to have lost some data too. All told, I'm beginning to really wish I hadn't restored Lion, but my MBP was getting very slow, and beachballing in iMovie.

Any ideas?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like you broke the links in the scripts that allowed the rules to execute. My suggestion is to redo them.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'd set up the rules in Gmail itself, not in Mail. In my experience it is more reliable, and they'll remain should you rebuild and mess things up again.

Not sure if you can do that on the iCloud side, however.

The On My Mac mailboxes are local, however. You'd be essentially copying that mail from Gmail or iCloud into those boxes. I suggest you rename one and then edit your rules to go to the new one.