Marking Messages as Read Incorrectly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cnstoll, Mar 12, 2013.

1. cnstoll macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

I have a really frustrating problem with Here's the scenario.

There's a conversation thread going on in my inbox. It's got 3 messages in it. I have read all 3 messages, and then I leave my desk and go grab lunch. I come back, and go about my business. In the mean time, 2 new messages have shown up in that same thread. I don't notice those messages in the thread though, and I click on another message that's come in individually or to another thread that I wasn't already looking at. In the process of leaving the existing thread, mail has marked those 2 new messages as read and I never see them because I don't notice them coming in. As a result, I frequently miss messages in a discussion simply because Mail doesn't alert me to look at them because it thinks I read them.

This problem sucks, and is making it hard for me to use program I have used since the original version of OS X. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, does anyone have a solution to this problem?

- Conrad
  2. techound1 macrumors 68000

Mar 3, 2006
    What happens if you turn off the discussion thread option (for the sake of experimenting)?
  3. cnstoll thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2010
    I haven't tried that yet, but that's a good idea. I will give that a shot. Anyone else experiencing something like this?